Help needed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed!

I graduated this May and got a job in Virginia. I am trying to get a learner's license and the local DMV is not accepting my EAD card and about to expire I-20 as my proof of legal presence. Since my I-20 is expiring next month they are not willing to issue a learner's permit thus a driver's license. Please give some suggestions. I cannot file for H1B till next year. Is it possible for my University's international centre to extend my I-20 even though I have graduated?thanks

Your question will be posted on our wall at http://www.facebook.com/desiopt1 on July 28th please follow the post and forum.
    If you feel this community is useful, please invite your friends by following below steps
    1. Goto http://facebook.com/desiopt1
    2. Find "Suggest DesiOPT.com to Your Friends" - Click on "See All" and Invite your friends
    3. If you can't find the link, refer http://desiopt.com/include/themes/cu...s/fbinvite.php

Thanks
    Www.DesiOPT.com

Comment

New I20 will be Issued by your school from your OPT start date to next year for a period of 1 year

Comment

Your school should issue a new I-20 when you get an OPT card with same expiration date as OPT card. Please call them.

Comment

Legally, you can not be in the U.S once your EAD and i-20 expire next month. Have you filed/applied for a STEM extension? You will be out of Immigration status between now and next year (when you file for H1-B) if you haven't applied for a STEM extension. If your coursework does not fall under STEM, your stay in the U.S comes to an end when your EAD expires, understandably the DMV is not accepting your proof of legal presence to support your license application. To add more, I do not understand how if your graduated in May, 2013; your OPT expires next month! You might want to ask the International Office at your University.

Comment

My OPT is not expiring next month. But my I-20 that I got when I applied for my OPT is expiring next month. Is i t possible to get a new I-20?

Comment

Did you not get a fresh i-20 when you applied for your OPT? You can request for as many i-20s as you can to your University as long as you maintain your visa status.

Comment

Yes, I did get a fresh one but it is valid only till August 2013. They told me I can extend it I did not graduate in May. I thought I-20s are valid only till a person graduates. I posted this question and spoke to a couple of my friends in other Universities. Then only I realized I can extend my I-20 till my OPT expires.

Comment

U need to take ur i20, ead card, offer letter and proof ur address like lease paper. It will not be a problem. U may speak to supervisor if the front people don't agree.

Comment

When I applied for my OPT my university gave me an I-20 that was valid only till August. I thought I-20s are valid only tilI i graduate. When I took my proof of residency and proof of legal presence (offer letter, leasing doc, letter from my office, EAD (valid till June 2014) and I-20 (valid till August 2013) to the local DMV they did not accept my about-to-expire-I-20. My University's international center told me that they will extend my I-20 if I did not graduate in May 2013. I did not know that generally the I-20 issued by other Universities are valid for a year after graduation. I guess I have to speak with my University officials. I have mailed them regarding this. But till I saw a couple of blogs I did not know that the I-20 can be extended till the end of OPT.

Comment

Your question was very confusing... If u r done with ur graduation this may... Along with ur OPT application u would have sent a new I20 which is valid for 12 months.. Please clarify them so tht everyone can answer to ur question correctly...

Comment

Your i20 date will be there till you graduate but after the OPT extension, your new i20 will have the your OPT END date listed on page 3 of your new I20 ( 2014 like that ) which servs as a proof to DMV that you have legal status in the US for atleast next 6 months and they should issue you the license.

Comment

I faced a similar situation in NJ..I graduated in May 2012 and was on OPT since then...I went to NJ DMV for license and had my my OPT Stem Extension OPT but with the old employers name printed on it...So they asked me to get the offer letter t prove that I am working in NJ as well as a new I20 with the new employer's name on it...So I wud suggest if your course is under Stem courses get the extension I20 and then apply for ur license....good luck...

Comment

Working...
                          X