No announcement yet.

Change of Status-SHARE your Stamping Experience

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Change of Status-SHARE your Stamping Experience

    I see nobody talked on this post about requires while coming back from India and when we changed status in BTW, right?

    This was posted on on May 8th 2013

  • #2
    In general, a person is required to obtain a visa stamp in their passport from a U.S. consulate abroad if they are leaving and returning to the U.S. in the same visa status but the visa in their passport is expired OR if they changed status in the U.S. and are now traveling abroad. For example, if someone files a change of status from F-1 to H-1B while in the U.S. and then travels abroad after working in H-1 status for a year, they will need to apply for an H-1 visa in their passport before being able to reenter the U.S. Of course, there are some exceptions such as travel to Canada or Mexico for less than 30 days, but you should always contact a competent immigration attorney prior to traveling outside the U.S.