No announcement yet.

Tax Filing

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Tax Filing

    I have a few questions regarding tax filing for year 2014.

    I was on OPT and OPT-Ext until 30th September 2014. I started my H1B on 1st October. I was previously on F1 Visa and was considered a non-resident alien. Starting October 2014, I was in the US for less than 183 days, so I do not qualify the Substantial Presence Test for 2014.

    1. Due to non qualification of substantial presence test, will I file 1040 NR form for 2014 taxes?

    Also, in December I got married, however, my wife did not join me in the US until January 2015. I know I will not be eligible for the deductions.

    2. What will be my filing status, single or married, since she did not stay with me throughout the year? If I file as married but filing single, do I need to get an ITIN for her, even though she was not present in the US for a single day last year.

    Will appreciate help on this subject. Thanks.

  • #2
    Your question will be reviewed by our moderator and posted on our wall at within 24-72 hours please follow the post and forum.
    *** Don't Miss Important Topics, Subscribe to our Newsletter at ***
    If you feel this community is useful, please invite your friends by following below steps
    1. Goto
    2. Find "Suggest to Your Friends" - Click on "See All" and Invite your friends
    3. If you can't find the link, refer

    In addition to the readers comments, You can also call attorneys for free advice. DesiOPT is collaborating with group of attorneys. You can contact them directly via email/ phone. Initial Consult is Free. Their information is listed on home page.
    we are providing direct links as well, please let us know your feedback after the call

    F1 visa students find OPT Jobs, CPT Jobs, OPT Employers, H1B Jobs, STEM OPT Jobs, OPT Students



    • #3
      Your message was posted anonymously on our Facebook wall at - on Feb 10th - Please review comments from other users.


      • #4
        1) Yes 2) You don't have to claim her as a dependent, when you file your taxes for 2015 you will have to.


        • #5
          Also I think you should file form 1040 NR-EZ if you do not claim any dependents and your gross income falls below $100k


          • #6
            1. Yes, u need to file 1040 NR Ez
            2. single for 2014 taxes based upon your info


            • #7
              Hey, based on what I heard from my CPA u can say Married. Even Though she is not with u last year here.


              • #8
                1 technically u fall under dual status alien ( after oct 1 u come under non resident .. )
                2 u are eligible to clime her as dependent and u need to get itn for u r spouse .


                • #9
                  Ruhaan & Co accountant is the leading brand in Certified Accountant. We provide you professional’s services along with 100% assurance. We have best Birmingham Certified Accountant. They gives you quality services by their experience. Ruhaan & Co Accountant provides VAT Return, Payroll Report, Self-Assessment, Year End Accounts, Bookkeeping Birmingham and much more. For professionals services call us Tel: 0121 572 3457, for more services information visit us here.