Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I work Full Time and have GTA for Summer semester?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I work Full Time and have GTA for Summer semester?

I hope I get my answer to the following question..I am still in my 3rd semester of MS program..
    I got an internship for the summer(full time) and in the city where my college is.. . But I am also being offered a GTA in the college during the summer.. Its an online course, so I do not have to be in the college at all...and it won't clash with my internship schedule as I can finish off my work on weekends .. So, I wanted to know if I work at both the places or not... I have gone through some websites, but nowhere its specifically mentioned that a student can work for max 40 hours .. It is mentioned that F1 students can full time during summer and I guess there is no limit for full time.. It can be 40, and can be 60 also, as many people here work 60 hours.. I want to do everything in a legal way, so before informing the professor, I would want to make sure if this is possible

This was posted on https://www.facebook.com/desiopt1 on April 10th 2013

Agree, but I guess it depends on the univ. As you said you already worked then you surely can work. But in my univ they wont allow. It was said in orientation, and I also asked wen I had CPT. They said NO.

Comment

Thanks Abraar for link but, I dont see the specific 'No'. all they said is:
      1.13. Can F 1 students work on-campus if they are participating in practical training (OPT or CPT)?
      Yes, but only if it is pre-completion OPT or CPT and their total work hours for all work do not exceed 20 hours while school is in session. They may work full-time during those periods when school is not in session or during the student’s annual break.

So in Summer, you can work full time on CPT and can also work on campus. Thats only allowed when school is not in session.

Comment

Ajith any link for your answer of 60 hours? I am not sure about this 60 hours thing.. I have heard of 40 hours only

Comment

http://www.ice.gov/sevis/employment/faq_f_on1.htm#_1_13

Comment

@amreena..You can work only when you have a part time CPT. On fulltime CPT you cannot work on campus.

Comment

You can work on cpt n on campus job simultaneously, n in summer no. Of hour doesnt matter. I worked full time on cpt n had two on campus job, last summer. Just to be sure ask your ISA as well.

Comment

There is no link, you can ask your univ, they should answer that. If you want to be anonymous try calling the university international office and ask your question.

Comment

You can work for any number of hours. But you cannot work on CPT and on campus as a teaching assistant. If you are working on just CPT you can work for any number of hours if that is a full time internship

Comment

you can work for 60hours in summer... !!

Comment

Working...
                    X