No announcement yet.

Conversion from F1-OPT to F2 visa

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Conversion from F1-OPT to F2 visa

    I came to USA in 2010 June in F2 dependent visa. Then I got admission for masters program from the same university my husband is studying and came back to India and converted to F1 visa. My F1 visa is valid till 2015. I graduated in May 2013 and my OPT started from June 17th. I also started working in a company from June 17th. Right now I have some medical problems and I need to go back to India for a surgery as I cannot afford it here. My company did not agree to give leave and so I have quit my job. Also my husband is currently in F1 visa with his OPT working for a company.

    I am going to India now and want to come back to USA in a month..What are my options?
    1. Can I come to USA as I will still be valid with OPT and valid visa?
    2. Can I change to F2 visa and come as a dependent?

    Please do reply..


  • #2
    Your message will be posted as anonymous on Facebook wall: Aug 21st.
    If you feel this community is useful, please INVITE your friends by following below steps

    1. Goto
    2. Find "Suggest to Your Friends" - Click on "See All" and Invite your friends
    3. If you can't find the link, refer for details


    • #3
      Firstly, If you want to come back and work in USA you will be valid F1 student if those unemployment days are less than 90. If it is greater than 90 better join in any consulting firm and they will run a job for you sattuing that you are employed from the next day when you are out of the first company. In this case update ur company details to DSO.
      secondly, you can convert into F2 if you need to be at home. But I prefer case 1


      • #4
        Hello!! Sorry to hear about your health conditions. The best bet would be to join a consulting firm and take a medical leave approved by your employer and then leave to India. Make sure all of these information is updated in your school. You could get your visa converted to f2 but you will have to go through the same process for getting it converted to a work visa if you prefer to work in the future(f2->f1->opt->h1). With this there shouldn't be any problem when you still would return on OPT. Make sure your OPT is valid when you return back if not, apply for OPT- extension before you leave the united states.