Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Panic Condition..., OPT Documents Mailed Late, Am I illegal ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panic Condition..., OPT Documents Mailed Late, Am I illegal ?

I'm in a panic condition...i graduated on 4th may and my opt I20 was issued on 17th of may however i didnt send my documents untill end of june... i just read somewhere that i was supposed to mail my documents within 1 month from the date of my opt-I20 was issued...so am i out of status now? if so, what can i do to maintain my status? m i illegal now in this amazing country? i would really appreciate your answer

This was posted on https://www.facebook.com/desiopt1 on July 12th 2013

upto 1 month after you get OPT I20 you can mail your doc ...check with ur interntaional advisor asap.

Comment

2 months after u graduate that is on july 17th you cannot apply for OPT. then you will be out of status

Comment

If you graduate on may 4th ( last date of your normal I20, not opt I20), then you will have 2months to apply for OPT. Considering that your student I20 ends on 4th may, u will have time till august 4th to apply for opt.
        So, just make sure your opt documents reach Uscis service centre before aug4th...if your packet reaches before aug4th, you are safe.

This is not ur case...but worst case..even if you have applied on august 2nd n do overnight shipping of documents so that it will reach before 4th, then also its fine. In this case, your opt request date should be aug4th as your status expires as student on aug4th.so u will lose few months of ur first 3months of opt.

Hope I answered your question)

Comment

checking with international advisor is best thing any one can do...

Comment

just got that off my college's site.. if you mailed the documents after 30 days of getting new i20 you need to talk to your advisor ASAP

Comment

you're not illegal though you can wait till you get the decision

Comment

Working...
              X