Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I travel for my Engagement? OPT Extension under Initial review since 5 months

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I travel for my Engagement? OPT Extension under Initial review since 5 months

My OPT expired on Feb 22 2013. Applied for extension but still waiting on it, its been more than 5 months i applied but its
    still at intial review. I am working in the industry.

My questions:
    1. I am planning to visit India in the month of July for 10 days for my engagement, can i visit and come back to US.?
    1. Anybody who is facing situation like this.? Any idea when i can extension approved. ?

This was posted on https://www.facebook.com/desiopt1 on June 3rd 2013

congrats on engagement. i cant tell you forsure but u r taking one hell of a risk by planning to get married while still in opt. best would b wait till u get h1.

Comment

Not a problem if you travel on OPT. I traveled twice while on OPT(in Feb and May).. But keep Job offer letter and pay stubs ..

Comment

thats scary...5 months initial review???

Comment

btw u had to quit ur job when ur OPT expired on Frb 22?

Comment

when i had my OPT, it says on it not valid for re-entry to US , iam not sure about ur case though

Comment

I am sure you cannot travel.. All the comments above me are trash, ignore them.. Even though you have valid F1 since you graduated you do not have a valid reason to come back i.e no valid OPT to work.. You can do two things.. Can get engaged on skype since its not marriage and other thing is call uscis and ask why the hell its taking so long and you have to travel which you cant if you dont get it.. All the best!

Comment

NOOO.. I am sure you can travel. Because I did... Ok lets go logically.. No body stops you in India if you have OPT and I - 20 with valid dates... at POE Visa officer may ask you to show the job offer letter (but in my.case he never asked anything)..

Comment

Working...
                X