No announcement yet.

Spouse Visa Convertion On OPT

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Spouse Visa Convertion On OPT


    I have a question.One of my friend came on F1 visa and She is on OPT now.Her Spouse came on F2 and want to convert to F1.Some one told that there is a way to change to F1 by consulting a lawyer and paying some amount to him without going for F1 visa stamping.Is it possible to do like that and is it legal to do so?Will it be a problem for her for OPT extension?Please reply for the question and do the needful help

  • #2
    Your question will be reviewed by our moderator and posted on Facebook wall at within 24-72 hours.

    ATTORNEY: In addition to the readers comments, You can also call attorneys for free advice. DesiOPT is collaborating with group of attorneys. You can contact them directly via email/ phone. Initial Consult is Free.

    Please let us know your feedback after the call.

    NEWSLETTER: *** Don't Miss Important Topics, Subscribe to our Newsletter at *** Classified portal exclusive for F1 Students

    OPT TRACKER: Track your OPT

    INVITE FRIENDS: Feel this community useful, then invite your friends by following below steps

    1. Goto
    2. Find "Suggest to Your Friends" - Click on "See All" and Invite your friends
    3. If you can't find the link, refer


    • #3
      Your message was posted anonymously on our Facebook wall at 12th March - Please review comments from other users


      • #4
        Obtain an I-20 from University and prepare the documents listed below before you begin your application. To obtain an I-20 from ISSS, submit proof of financial support (bank statement, scholarship letter, affidavit of support, etc.), and CFIS form. For estimated costs per program of study, please check the cost guides for international students here.

        Note: Please have a credit/debit card handy to use for SEVIS fee and online filing fee payments. Scan and save all the documents listed below with the appropriate file name in a PDF format before starting the application process, if you plan to use the ELIS online application system. Keep a photocopy of each item for your records.
        Pay SEVIS fee of $200 online at SEVIS I‑901 Fee processing website . Remember to print out payment receipt.
        Complete I-539 Application to Extend/Change Non-Immigrant Status (only if you want to submit your application by mail)
        Prepare a letter requesting the change of status and explaining the circumstances, which merit such a change. This could include how your full-time study in F-1 status will support your academic and career goals. An ISSS advisor may review the draft letter for you.
        Copy of biographic page of your passport with expiration date.
        Copy of F-2 visa stamp.
        Copy of Spouse's I-20
        Copy of I-94 card or if you don’t have paper I-94, a printout from CBP site (include dependent’s I-94, if applicable)
        Copy of official admission letter from American University.
        Copy of signed I-20 from American University.
        Copy of proof of financial support (bank statement, scholarship letter, affidavit of support, etc.) dated within the past three months and an English translations, if needed.
        If you chose to apply online, create an individual online account on ELIS (Electronic Immigration System). To create an ELIS account, please visit USCIS ELIS site:
        Click on ELIS (Electronic Immigration System) on the left hand side of the web page, and
        Create Account
        For a step by step guide about filing your change of status application on ELIS, please see the ELIS instructions page.
        Submit your application after carefully answering the questions in the online application form, uploading the above documents, and making an online payment of $290.00 for filing fee. Make sure to complete your application on a computer connected to a printer so you could print the receipt and a print out of your application.
        When you receive your Notice of Action Approval (I797A) form with the change to F-1 status, please bring the Notice of Action Approval (I-797A) form and Passport to ISSS so that ISSS activate your SEVIS status.


        • #5
          There will not be any problem you can apply for change of are good as long as you are in usa .but need to go to stamping if you leave the country