Can I Pre-pone OPT Start date?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I Pre-pone OPT Start date?

Hi,I have an issue with my OPT. I filled the date of start of employment keeping 20 days of buffer in my degree completion date. I just got an internship offer which starts exactly 2 days after my graduation date. I have just got my receipt of acknowledgement from USCIS for my OPT. Is it possible to prepone the start date on my OPT. FYI, this is a dream company and they are not willing to negotiate the start date for an Intern.....

This was posted on https://www.facebook.com/desiopt1 on April 19th 2013

You cannot start working before you get your OPT card in your hand

Comment

Aliph is right!

Comment

Yes, you cannot start without your OPT card but you can expedite your process which means you can pre-pone your opt start date. Talk to your International program services member in your campus and they will write a mail requesting USCIS to expedite your process.. Good Luck..

Comment

^^How sure are you? The best I have known is you can expedite the process so that it will be approved fast and get your EAD card early. BUT the start date cannot be change. I am sure about this.

Comment

We are posting a message from a reader who wanted to share his views anonymously:

There should definitely be a process for that but you don't want to risk doing that rather negotiate with the Client saying join in and ask them to run payroll only after receiving your OPT card if they're flexible else ask them to do a Corp to Corp with some consultancy if they don't want to and never the least if this is land of opportunities they will come be optimistic.

Comment

Yes I am sure of this as I did it recently. There wont be a problem with it, infact if you talk to you ISS department they would write a recommendation letter for that(dont forget to include your offer letter).

Comment

You can request your employer to run payroll from your OPT start date and till then you can work unpaid.

Comment

Working...
                X