Should I do OPT or wait for my marriage based interview?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aliabbasi88
    • Nov 2014

Should I do OPT or wait for my marriage based interview?

I'm currently an F-1 student. 4 months ago I got married to US citizen. Last month we applied for the marigage based green card at Chicago locaton at NCS. Our application inlcudedI-130, I-485, I-765 etc. I have my biometric appointment next week after that I am expecting to get my work authorization in 3-4 months. I am graduating in April from my school. I want to know should I apply for my OPT after completing my studies or just wait for my marriage based interview for green card? Because there will be 3-4 months gap after completing my studies and having a interview. What will be my status during those few months? Is it okay if I dont apply for my OPT and just wait for few months for my interview for the green card?
  • onoptgirl
    • Nov 2014

I am in the same boat

Originally posted by aliabbasi88 View Post
    I'm currently an F-1 student. 4 months ago I got married to US citizen. Last month we applied for the marigage based green card at Chicago locaton at NCS. Our application inlcudedI-130, I-485, I-765 etc. I have my biometric appointment next week after that I am expecting to get my work authorization in 3-4 months. I am graduating in April from my school. I want to know should I apply for my OPT after completing my studies or just wait for my marriage based interview for green card? Because there will be 3-4 months gap after completing my studies and having a interview. What will be my status during those few months? Is it okay if I dont apply for my OPT and just wait for few months for my interview for the green card?
    Hi there

Since you have already received finger print appointment, you will get interview call within two months. That is fine if you dont want to apply for OPT, but make sure you prepare for interview very well and get green card. If they are asking you to go to interview on particular date and time, go there without any delay. I did a huge mistake, in my case i got interview call within 2.5 month but i couldnt attend it because i was out of state.. it put me in so much of trouble which take 3-6 months more to resolve. But if you do not pass the interview then also you are fine. you will be out if status for some time but if your husband is US citizen (i dont know abt green card holders) than they will forgive you for overstay. This is all from my personal experience. Good luck

Comment

• DesiOPT-FaceBook-Admin
      Administrator
      • Mar 2013

Your question will be reviewed by our moderator and posted on our wall at http://www.facebook.com/desiopt1 within 24-72 hours please follow the post and forum.
      *** Don't Miss Important Topics, Subscribe to our Newsletter at http://bit.ly/1da2vrz ***
      If you feel this community is useful, please invite your friends by following below steps
      1. Goto http://facebook.com/desiopt1
      2. Find "Suggest DesiOPT.com to Your Friends" - Click on "See All" and Invite your friends
      3. If you can't find the link, refer http://bit.ly/16CAYOb

In addition to the readers comments, You can also call attorneys for free advice. DesiOPT is collaborating with group of attorneys. You can contact them directly via email/ phone. Initial Consult is Free. Their information is listed on http://desiopt.com/ home page.
      we are providing direct links as well, please let us know your feedback after the call

Thanks
      F1 visa students find OPT Jobs, CPT Jobs, OPT Employers, H1B Jobs, STEM OPT Jobs, OPT Students

Disclaimer: http://bit.ly/163AglR

Comment

• aliabbasi88
        • Nov 2014

Thanks for your reply.

Are you sure I wont need OPT? because what I have heard that estimated time for green based interview is around 5-6 months. So we can say that our green card based interview will be expecting around May 2015 and I am graduating in April 2015. I have my fingerprints appointment this week. How much time it will take more to get an interview date after the fingerprints?

Comment

• DesiOPT-FaceBook-Admin
          Administrator
          • Mar 2013

Your message was posted as anonymous on Facebook wall- (Dec 4th)

Comment

• DesiOPT-FaceBook-Fan
            • Mar 2013

If you want to work immediately after your studies , you can apply for OPT !!

Comment

• DesiOPT-FaceBook-Fan
              • Mar 2013

you are on two different tracks so getting th GC may take time to be on safer side apply for opt and get a joba and start working till you get GC

Comment

• DesiOPT-FaceBook-Fan
                • Mar 2013

I guess within 2 months of your application you should receive your EAD (Work permit and Parole) and then your interview might take another 2-3 months. However it is recommended to apply for OPT, check it out with your attorney.

Comment

• DesiOPT-FaceBook-Fan
                  • Mar 2013

Opt also takes around 3 months.. You can wait till feb- March to decide and prepare to apply if required.

Comment

• DesiOPT-FaceBook-Fan
                    • Mar 2013

If you applied for GC then you will get Work and Travel EAD in 3 to 4 months and you can work with that.. No need to apply OPT..

Comment

• DesiOPT-FaceBook-Fan
                      • Mar 2013

U might get gc ead first .. But if u want be on f1 u can apply for opt ead also

Comment

Working...
                      X