No announcement yet.

Income through RideSharing/Carpooling!

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Income through RideSharing/Carpooling!


    I have asked this question before in the community but ended up NOT getting much response. So here I repost in case people with knowledge did not see my message.

    It would be of great help if anybody could guide me correctly.

    Question: You all might have heard a lot about SideCar and many other ride giving/sharing apps where you own a car and give rides to people and they pay you through their smartphone app. While on OPT, can we have an income like this? Is it legal? While signing up, SideCar did take my SSN.
    I have also signed up for another car sharing website which actually has not asked for my SSN. But this company will send me a cheque at the end of every month to be deposited into my bank account.

    Can anybody tell me what would be the case in both scenarios?

    Thanks in advance!

  • #2
    Your question will be reviewed by our moderator and posted on our wall at within 24-72 hours please follow the post and forum.
    *** Don't Miss Important Topics, Subscribe to our Newsletter at ***
    If you feel this community is useful, please invite your friends by following below steps
    1. Goto
    2. Find "Suggest to Your Friends" - Click on "See All" and Invite your friends
    3. If you can't find the link, refer

    In addition to the readers comments, You can also call attorneys for free advice. DesiOPT is collaborating with group of attorneys. You can contact them directly via email/ phone. Initial Consult is Free. Their information is listed on home page.
    we are providing direct links as well, please let us know your feedback after the call



    • #3
      Your message was posted as anonymous on Facebook wall- (Nov 20th)


      • #4
        Generally payments above 600 require w9 ( ssn or tin ) if it is individual they usually generate 1099


        • #5
          yo can work witn as many employers as yo can but if the company gives w2 as you are working as an it professional supporting their systems .he should give a offer letter to the niversity as you need work that is related to u r stdy


          • #6
            As you are on OPT you can work with many employers but mention it while applying for tax returns !!


            • #7
              Is it related to your field of study? If so, you can work