No announcement yet.

Running Payroll on OPT

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Running Payroll on OPT

    Hi Everybody,

    you guys are really doing a great job on this page. i have a doubt about the payroll, my employer is running payroll in his location where his office is located. but, i am working for a client in a different location. i am on OPT, my concern is will there be any issues if the payroll is running in employers location rather than the client location. please kindly clarify my question. thanks in advance.

  • #2
    Your question will be reviewed by our moderator and posted on our wall at within 24-72 hours please follow the post and forum.
    *** Don't Miss Important Topics, Subscribe to our Newsletter at ***
    If you feel this community is useful, please invite your friends by following below steps
    1. Goto
    2. Find "Suggest to Your Friends" - Click on "See All" and Invite your friends
    3. If you can't find the link, refer

    In addition to the readers comments, You can also call attorneys for free advice. DesiOPT is collaborating with group of attorneys. You can contact them directly via email/ phone. Initial Consult is Free.

    Their information is listed on home page.
    we are providing direct links as well, please let us know your feedback after the call

    F1 visa students find OPT Jobs, CPT Jobs, OPT Employers, H1B Jobs, STEM OPT Jobs, OPT Students



    • #3
      Your message was posted as anonymous on Facebook wall- (Sept 30th)


      • #4
        It's not a problem , while filing for tax returns you can pay the state tax for the state where client is located if it is different than your employer location of state !


        • #5
          Tax will vary a little... tell him to do run from the same client as it will help you when you file for h1b... good luck


          • #6
            Dont worry it is not a problem ..
            Remember State tax are based on where u live not where u work ..


            • #7
              thanks guys for the reply, my only concern is will it be a problem while applying for the h1b?


              • #8
                Two things you need to know.. First is that if you file for the State where employer is running payroll then there might be a problem with USCIS in the future during H1B or GC.. Second thing is of you file for the current State where you are staying and not the state where the payroll is being run then expect a Notice from the State where payroll is being run.. You need to cal and explain your situation submit proofs like utility bills, bank statements etc etc saying that you were in that state so filed for it..


                • #9
                  Make that employer of yours open a State ID in the state of residence of yours and ask him to start running payroll.. That way you can also take 6.35%( calculate this ) perdiem too.. Works well for both of you..


                  • #10
                    check your residence address in thumb rule is to file taxes where you live..simple..