No announcement yet.

STEM extension - Employer needs a proof of 180 days extension

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • STEM extension - Employer needs a proof of 180 days extension


    I have applied for my OPT extension last month and haven't received a decision so far. My current OPT expires next week. My employer has asked me for my extension to which I sent him the link of the USCIS website where it states the candidate receives an extension of employment authorization after their current employment authorization expires, but for no more than 180days.
    My employer is now asking if I had received it ? I am not really sure if USCIS actually mails a card or something ?
    1. Will there a new card sent in the mail ?
    2. If my employer asks me to stop working, would it add up to my unemployment days ?

    Please suggest !

  • #2
    Your question will be reviewed by our moderator and posted on our wall at within 24-72 hours please follow the post and forum.
    *** Don't Miss Important Topics, Subscribe to our Newsletter at ***
    If you feel this community is useful, please invite your friends by following below steps
    1. Goto
    2. Find "Suggest to Your Friends" - Click on "See All" and Invite your friends
    3. If you can't find the link, refer

    In addition to the readers comments, You can also call attorneys for free advice. DesiOPT is collaborating with group of attorneys. You can contact them directly via email/ phone. Initial Consult is Free. Their information is listed on home page.
    we are providing direct links as well, please let us know your feedback after the call

    F1 visa students find OPT Jobs, CPT Jobs, OPT Employers, H1B Jobs, STEM OPT Jobs, OPT Students



    • #3
      Your message was posted as anonymous on Facebook wall- (Sept 19th)


      • #4
        There is an I-797C , notice of action receipt you should be getting within 15-20 days of your application being accepted by USCIS. You need to provide this receipt to your employer as proof. You can also call and obtain your case number from USCIS, but not all employers will accept just the case number, they may still need to see the I-797C receipt.


        • #5
          As stated by Shivprasad - Your I797-C Notice of action is the proof. Retain the original with you and provide a copy of the same to your employer....


          • #6
            Hi , You can continue working for 180 days. Show receipt notice to your Employer and USCIS link you already sent. These 2 should be sufficient to inform your Employer that you can work for 180 days once OPT expires. You will get card only when your Stem approves .


            • #7
              Hey buddy u can continue to work upto 180 days if your application is still pending so u should have the receipt i797c as a proof to work and if your employer asks you to stop working yes it will come under count of unemployment days so don't worry keep going ask your employer to check on the uscis website .


              • #8
                for stem u have to work for everify employer .. and they need to reverify after u r opr expiry ..
                everify it self gives them proof


                • #9
                  You can take letter from your international office, which they state you are allowed to work 180 days, when you have applied for opt extension


                  • #10
                    Get a letter from your university IS