No announcement yet.

Can I apply for STEM after OPT expires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I apply for STEM after OPT expires?

Can I apply for STEM after OPT expires?

Hi,My OPT card expired on July 10th, 2014. I did not apply for OPT extension, since my H1B was picked up, in lottery. But now I have got an rfe. I am not sure about the H1 decision.

Is there any way, I can apply for OPT extension now ? I was not aware, that I cannot apply for extension after the card expires. (Also, I should have applied, it should have to be before the application for H1b application ?)

Also, just as a back up, if the H1 is denied, and I have to start school, are there any important dates or timeframe, I need to keep in mind (like apply for school in 60 days grace period of OPT ?)

Any guidance or suggestions on this case would be helpful !Regards.

No you cannot apply for STEM since you need to do that prior to you initial OPT expiration. You can apply anytime before your current OPT expiration. Even after our H1B lottery selection you could have applied.

To maintain your status you have to take admit within 60 days after your work authorization expires. For you it can be a little tricy. Since your H1B was selected you were automatically granted work authorization until September 30.

I am not sure if you can continue to work if your H1B application is still pending until October 1st and when does your grace period to maintain status starts.

Comment

You can continue your work for 180 days as long as you have a case opened with uscis.
      Also I'm not sure about applying for opt stem. Why don't you give a shot and apply. If uscis takes it in you are good or else just a loss of 350$.
      Why don't you apply it asap?

Comment

1 no ..
        2 check dates on u r cap gap i20 . you have to get into valid status with that expiry plus grace period

Comment

by law u have to apply stem opt before post opt expires

Comment

You can apply for opt extension within 60 days after your opt expires!!

Comment

No
              The cap gap can help u and also the grace period

Comment

Working...
              X