No announcement yet.

OPT - Volunteer work vs Internship (unpaid)

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • OPT - Volunteer work vs Internship (unpaid)

    Hi all,

    I am on OPT and currently volunteering part-time. I have also provided all the necessary details to my university. I have a few questions for which I would like to get your valuable suggestions.

    1. What all documents would I need to keep for my records ? (A completion letter with a start and end date or 2 letters - one similar to offer letter and another a completion letter). Is completion letter enough since I didn't ask for an offer letter?
    2. Is there anything else that might be asked for during H1b petition or visa interview (when I apply in future) related to this job since it is unpaid and so no paystubs?
    3. Is it better to get this letter as a volunteer work letter or an unpaid internship? Does it matter? (My employer might be flexible to consider it as an internship. Would I need any other documents then?)

    Thanks in advance.

  • #2
    Your question will be reviewed by our moderator and posted on our wall at within 24-72 hours please follow the post and forum.
    *** Don't Miss Important Topics, Subscribe to our Newsletter at ***
    If you feel this community is useful, please invite your friends by following below steps
    1. Goto
    2. Find "Suggest to Your Friends" - Click on "See All" and Invite your friends
    3. If you can't find the link, refer

    In addition to the readers comments, You can also call attorneys for free advice. DesiOPT is collaborating with group of attorneys. You can contact them directly via email/ phone. Initial Consult is Free. Their information is listed on home page.
    we are providing direct links as well, please let us know your feedback after the call



    • #3
      Your message was posted as anonymous on Facebook wall- (July 25th)


      • #4
        Ask your employer an experience letter. But since you mentioned it as internship it may not be counted as experience.
        On safe side have it. It is not used for H1b, but while filing your GC you should submit all your experience letter for all the years you mentioned in application.
        Have it as an unpaid internship which would be more professional than working voluntarily.