No announcement yet.

Work with professor on OPT

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Work with professor on OPT

    Can I work (unpaid) for my professor at my university on OPT? I was working with him on a project and want a few more months to complete it. I am no longer a student so cannot be employed as a TA or RA as per rules as they are paid positions. As per USCIS rules I think the unpaid positions have to be typically unpaid and not just unpaid for me. Would it be alright if he gave me a letter saying that I am working in his lab? Or does the paperwork need to come from the department? What can I do to continue working with him at the lab?

  • #2
    Your question will be reviewed by our moderator and posted on our wall at within 24-72 hours please follow the post and forum.
    *** Don't Miss Important Topics, Subscribe to our Newsletter at ***
    If you feel this community is useful, please invite your friends by following below steps
    1. Goto
    2. Find "Suggest to Your Friends" - Click on "See All" and Invite your friends
    3. If you can't find the link, refer

    In addition to the readers comments, You can also call attorneys for free advice. DesiOPT is collaborating with group of attorneys. You can contact them directly via email/

    phone. Initial Consult is Free. Their information is listed on home page.
    we are providing direct links as well, please let us know your feedback after the call



    • #3
      Your message was posted as anonymous on Facebook wall- (July 3rd)


      • #4
        1. Yes you can work, 2. He just has to inform your Intl Affairs office(your advisor) and they will update SEVIS, 3.You're all set.


        • #5
          Yes, you can


          • #6
            1) make sure to document your unpaid work otherwise it will be counted as unemployment as now a days USCIS is denying application on basis of unpaid internships and no pay stubs

            2) yes a professor letter on university letter pad will work it must clearly say that you are working and will not be given any compensation , however there is a catch here , USCIS may argue like this " if one research assistant working for same position is getting payment then why is this guy unpaid , then there are bunch of labor laws , which must not be violated by this unpaid work


            • #7
              1 yes
              2 Yes


              • #8
                Yes you can work if there is proper documentation shoeing that you are working in university under prof.