Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving License expiring & STEM in review

Driving License expiring & STEM in review

Hello I have a question about the STEM EAD card. USCIS received my application on 13th March and it still shows that it is in the initial stage. My OPT EAD card expires 19th May. My drivers licence expires a day before.

1. By when should I expect my card or do I need to worry?

Depends...

Comment

you dont need to worry about the status as you already applied on time. As your DL goes, you'll need to check with the DMV of your state, I believe they'll need your new OPT card to extend your DL expiry.

Comment

Even I have a similar situation here.. but my STEM got approved, and im waiting for my card to arrive. My DL is goin to expire this 15th, i cant do anything but wait till i get my STEM card and then go for my DL extension.
        I suggest you do the same, but carry a secondary ID(Passport) incase you're travelling. If the Review goes well, You should get your STEM card before your OPT card expires, Just wait.

Comment

I'd recommend you to visit the DMV with your I797 and other pertinent documents required for license renewal. Then can do a secondary check with the USCIS about your legal stay in the US. It usually take 5-7 working days and once you receive a letter about your legal stay your license can be renewed for 2 months if your OPT Ext is still pending. It depends on state to state. For Texas, you need to have an approved OPT for being eligible to renew your license.

Comment

How many days did USCIS take to process your request? Thanks in Advance

Originally posted by DesiOPT-FaceBook-Fan View Post
            Even I have a similar situation here.. but my STEM got approved, and im waiting for my card to arrive. My DL is goin to expire this 15th, i cant do anything but wait till i get my STEM card and then go for my DL extension.
            I suggest you do the same, but carry a secondary ID(Passport) incase you're travelling. If the Review goes well, You should get your STEM card before your OPT card expires, Just wait.

Comment

8 Weeks...

Comment

did you receive your card ?

Comment

Status was updated to Card/Document production 28th last month.. They haven't mailed it out yet.

Comment

My OPT card expires on 19th. Its been over 8 weeks and the status still shows: Initial stage.

Comment

Working...
                    X