Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will I have to quit my on campus job that is not related to my field because my pre-O

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will I have to quit my on campus job that is not related to my field because my pre-O

Will I have to quit my on campus job that is not related to my field because my pre-OPT is starting next week ?

I am doing M.S in Biomedical Engineering. I am graduating in May 2013. However, my pre-completion OPT starts from February 4th 2013 onwards. I work on campus for a department that maintains the computer labs throughout the campus (so it is not related to Bio-engineering). My question is, will I have to quit the on campus job (that is not related to biomedical) because my pre-OPT is starting next week and OPT essentially means I have to work within my field of study? Please help me!

This was posted on https://www.facebook.com/desiopt1 on February 4th 2013

Is it an on campus job? or full time job? What did your DSO suggest?

Comment

What is really this pre opt. As far as i know you can apply for opt 3 months before you graduate. And as long as you graduate you are still a full time student and you can work. once you graduate you cannot work in the university anymore.

Comment

Technically you are still a student till May 2013. So it should not be a problem if you keep working on campus till you officially graduate. A PhD student from my lab is in the same situation as you are but continues to work in the department. Be sure to check with your international student advisor regarding this issue.

Comment

No.Since you will be on pre-OPT(which is technically an OPT) you cannot work on campus. You have to quit I guess.

Comment

It is an on-campus job..
            @aliph: OPT is split into pre completion OPT and post completion OPT..wat u have mentioned is post completion OPT..during pre completion OPT, u can work in your area of study for 20 hrs a week..it is something similar to a CPT..thanks for your response!
            @chandrika: thanks for your response! in your example, the student is working in her area of study..that is okay and valid but is it possible to work for another department is my question..
            abraar: hmm I too think the same..thank you though..

Comment

Working...
            X