No announcement yet.

Phd and job

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Phd and job

    Hi friends,

    I am a graduate student and i would be graduating in may 2014. i haven't got any job as of now, but at the same time i donot wish to work in other field i.e IT or in a consultancy as well. I am planning to enroll for a Phd. Suppose after one - two semesters of Phd work, if i get an offer from a company, can i drop phd and join the company and i would like to know further like how my enrollment for Phd will affect my Master (MS) OPT status and possible internship / work permit after enrolling for PhD.


  • #2
    Your question will be reviewed by our moderator and posted on our wall at within 24-72 hours please follow the post and forum.
    *** Don't Miss Important Topics, Subscribe to our Newsletter at ***
    If you feel this community is useful, please invite your friends by following below steps
    1. Goto
    2. Find "Suggest to Your Friends" - Click on "See All" and Invite your friends
    3. If you can't find the link, refer

    In addition to the readers comments, You can also call attorneys for free advice. DesiOPT is collaborating with group of attorneys. You can contact them directly via email/ phone. Initial Consult is Free. Their information is listed on home page.
    we are providing direct links as well, please let us know your feedback after the call



    • #3
      Your message was posted as anonymous on Facebook wall- (March 16th)


      • #4
        A student can receive maximum 12 months of hands-on practical experience for each degree level (Bachelor, Masters, Doctorate) (Additional 17 months for STEM degree holders).

        1. While on F1, you can only work on CPT,OPT. Check CPT/OPT requirement with your DSO. Details:

        2. As per ICE: How does a transfer or change of education level impact the period of OPT?
        Any OPT authorization ends on the transfer release date for a student who requests a transfer to another SEVP-certified school or a change of education level to continue at the same school.


        ilink | USCIS


        • #5
          1 you need a valid work permit to work ..
          2 yes it will be gone ..


          • #6
            If you get a job offer during your PhD and the employer files H-1B then you can quit PhD and continue on your H1-B. OFcourse, you would have lost F-1 status.
            Internship is possible on PhD and OPT too ( but if you have already used STEM extension then you won't be eligible for another STEM extension)