H4 Visa ---> F1 Visa ---> OPT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H4 Visa ---> F1 Visa ---> OPT

I started with an MS on H4 status from fall 2012 at Ohio state university. I plan to graduate in april 2014, To be eligible for OPT when should I apply for COS from h4 to f1? How long does it take? Will I need to travel to India after f1 is granted to get it stamped before I graduate?

This was posted on https://www.facebook.com/desiopt1 on February 7th 2013

You should be on F1 Visa for a year in order to get OPT. Do confirm it with your DSO.

Comment

OPT eligibility criteria may be different for universities. you should talk to someone in office of international students. for me it is 1. you should be on f1 status when you apply for opt and 2. should be a full time student for 2 consecutive semesters.

Comment

COS generally takes 2 to 2 1/2 months. No, you don't have to travel to India to get it stamped.

Comment

you should apply for cos before 6 months of time when you want to be on f1.

Comment

You can apply for F1 status when your near completion of MS Program. If you would like to do CPT, then atleast 3 months prior to CPT start date, you have to apply for COS!

Comment

I guess u need to be on F1 for two consecutive semesters to be able to apply for CPT/OPT

Comment

Thank you ppl for the responses!

Comment

Working...
                X