No announcement yet.

Am I eligible for a tutoring job on OPT?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Am I eligible for a tutoring job on OPT?

    Hey All,
    I have a question about OPT employment eligibility. Am I eligible to tutor online/ personal on an OPT if the subjects are in the area of my degree? What subjects can I teach online? Does a tutoring job need to be reported to the USCIS? Along with the tutoring job I will be volunteering in my college lab. Which one of this has to be reported for USCIS records? If I were to sell things online will it be counted as a salaried job?

  • #2
    Your message will be posted as anonymous on Facebook wall within 12 hours.

    *Don't miss a single one of our updates.Follow link to 'Get Notifications' from Facebook:
    If you feel this community is useful, please invite your friends by following below steps
    1. Goto
    2. Find "Suggest to Your Friends" - Click on "See All" and Invite your friends
    3. If you can't find the link, refer

    In addition to the readers comments, You can also call attorneys for free advice. DesiOPT is collaborating with group of attorneys. You can contact them directly via email/ phone. Initial Consult is Free. Their information is listed on home page.
    we are providing direct links as well, please let us know your feedback after the call

    F1 visa students find OPT Jobs, CPT Jobs, OPT Employers, H1B Jobs, STEM OPT Jobs, OPT Students

    P.S. Questions could be edited for grammar, repetition, clarity and other reasons. Name, Email ID, Phone number will be deleted as per forum posting rules.


    • #3
      Well, as per the guidelines of USCIS, you should be working for an e-verified company. So I highly doubt it if your tutoring/lab volunteering fall under this category of e-verified employers. So better don't think of doing volunteering and tutoring and have these ruled out of your options.

      Having said "Selling things online" will first raise a question of your education background. If this is/was your educational background and some is paying you as a salary and running a payroll for this, then that should be okay. However, this company should also be recognized as an e-verified company as per norms. From my view, you can consider this as an extra/business income but cannot be taken for granted as an employment.
      Hope these answered your questions.


      • #4
        First of all you need to be working for an e-verify company only if you want to file for h1b this year or next year. But if you are only going to be volunteering at college, that would still be considered as employment. OPT is very flexible- work for any employer in your field of study and you don't necessarily need to get paid.


        • #5
          1. Yes 1b. Yes 2. No Problem you can 3. Yes 4. Both 1 and 2


          • #6
            not for post opt .. working for everify participating company is mandated only for stem ext ...


            • #7
              1 how you are getting paid . are u going to report it as self employment ??
              2 yes you can do it ..
              3 depends on how you doing business ..
              4 any job needs to be reported to sevis