Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OPT STEM extension denied

Hello,

My initial 12 month OPT was set to expire on July 23rd. I had applied for my OPT STEM extension in the end of June. I had defended my Thesis and finished my degree
    in the beginning of June. My university issued me a letter of degree completion which is proof that I finished all requirements for the degree. This is a standard letter which
    is always given by my university for STEM extensions. The university confers the degree only twice a year at the end of the term, hence the letter of completion is provided
    for STEM extensions to validate the fact that I have completed my degree.
    My STEM extension got denied and the reason stated is that the university has not yet conferred the degree to me. I contacted my University DSO and he told me that they have never seen a denial for this reason and the letter of degree completion was always accepted.
    I saw the decision online on Sept 15th and the letter arrived 2 days later with the reason. My 60 days of grace period was set to expire on 20th of Sept. I did not have any option left but to leave the country. I hired a lawyer and applied for the Motion to Reopen/Reconsider my decision. I left the country on 20 Sept to avoid accumulating any illegal days of presence which can then be used against me in any future chance of returning to the country.

My question is
    1. Has any one ever seen a denial for the reason stated above ?
    2. What are the chances of the decision being reversed in the MTR?
    3. What is a tentative timeline for MTR ?

Any help regarding this issue would be extremely helpful and appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Your message will be posted as anonymous on Facebook wall within 12 hours: 10/7/2013

*Get OPT/CPT Experiences to your inbox via http://bit.ly/1da2vrz

If you feel this community is useful, please INVITE your friends by following below steps
    1. Goto http://facebook.com/desiopt1
    2. Find "Suggest DesiOPT.com to Your Friends" - Click on "See All" and Invite your friends
    3. If you can't find the link, refer http://desiopt.com/include/themes/cu...s/fbinvite.php for details

Comment

Originally posted by Edwin Anto View Post
      Hello,

My initial 12 month OPT was set to expire on July 23rd. I had applied for my OPT STEM extension in the end of June. I had defended my Thesis and finished my degree
      in the beginning of June. My university issued me a letter of degree completion which is proof that I finished all requirements for the degree. This is a standard letter which
      is always given by my university for STEM extensions. The university confers the degree only twice a year at the end of the term, hence the letter of completion is provided
      for STEM extensions to validate the fact that I have completed my degree.
      My STEM extension got denied and the reason stated is that the university has not yet conferred the degree to me. I contacted my University DSO and he told me that they have never seen a denial for this reason and the letter of degree completion was always accepted.
      I saw the decision online on Sept 15th and the letter arrived 2 days later with the reason. My 60 days of grace period was set to expire on 20th of Sept. I did not have any option left but to leave the country. I hired a lawyer and applied for the Motion to Reopen/Reconsider my decision. I left the country on 20 Sept to avoid accumulating any illegal days of presence which can then be used against me in any future chance of returning to the country.

My question is
      1. Has any one ever seen a denial for the reason stated above ?
      2. What are the chances of the decision being reversed in the MTR?
      3. What is a tentative timeline for MTR ?

Any help regarding this issue would be extremely helpful and appreciated.

Thank you very much.
      Check responses on Facebook page- https://www.facebook.com/desiopt1/posts/744752702208768

Comment

I faced the similar sisuation !! Send me a message , I will explain you what I did ??

Comment

Did you receive any RFE?

Comment

I had the same problem, msg me probably i cn help.

Comment

Thanks for your willingness to help - If possible, share your experience on facebook or you can reply anonymously at http://desiopt.com/.../1305-OPT-STEM-extension-denied... This will ensure every one in similar boat can get help.

OPT STEM extension denied
              desiopt.com
              Discussion Forum for OPT CPT F1 Visa Students from Desi OPT

Comment

Hire an attorney and reopen the case

Comment

Hi... I got my OPT extension denied, and from when does the grace time start? Is it from the day of denial??
                  what all options i have??

Comment

My stem opt denied on 10/30/2013

Hi my STEM OPT EXTENSION DENIED ON 10/30/2013.
                    What are my options?
                    1.When should i leave the country.My Inital OPT expired on June 3,2013
                    2.Should i wait for denial notice before i leave the country?

Urgent response would be appreciated...

Thanks and Regards,

Tej

Comment

HI Tej,

Check with the attorney, as per the attorney, 60days grace period starts from the day we receive the notice...
                      so you still have 60days of grace period

Comment

taxi in chandigarh

Nice work and thanks for this excellent information.

Comment

Hi Tej,

Did you check with Any Attorney.... am totally confused, my SEVIS is completed. Am very worried, as few of them tell that you have to leave country very soon as soon as your Sevis is completed. So please check with Attorney and then proceed further.

Comment

Hello Tej and Raj,
                            Please let me know what happened in your case. I am in a similar situation.
                            1) did you guys have any grace period??
                            2) what did you guys do to obtain status??

Comment

Working...
                            X