No announcement yet.

OPT STEM Extension Employment(Paid or unpaid)

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • OPT STEM Extension Employment(Paid or unpaid)

    Hello everyone,

    I have applied for OPT STEM through my employer, and now I have an approved EAD. My question is, does it have to be a paid employment? Is it okay to have un-paid employment? Is it okay to continue in an unpaid position? Will it cause complications while applying for H1-B(As they ask for pay stubs).

    Really appreciate your help and opinions.

  • #2
    our question will be posted on our wall at on September 14th please follow the post and forum.
    *** Don't Miss Important Topics, Subscribe to our Newsletter at ***
    If you feel this community is useful, please invite your friends by following below steps
    1. Goto
    2. Find "Suggest to Your Friends" - Click on "See All" and Invite your friends
    3. If you can't find the link, refer

    F1 visa students find OPT Jobs, CPT Jobs, OPT Employers, H1B Jobs, STEM OPT Jobs, OPT Students


    • #3
      hmm it gotta be paid ..can u explain u r exact situation ?? Bcoz there are different types of payment options ..


      • #4
        volunteer experience during an OPT STEM extension
        A: Students on a STEM extension are allowed to volunteer, incidental to their status. This means that volunteer work is allowed but does not count as employment for the purpose of maintaining F-1 status.



        • #5
          Types of employment allowed for students during a 17-month extension of OPT. Unpaid Employment is allowed under regular pre and post completion OPT.

          A student authorized for a 17-month extension must work at least 20 hours per week for an E-Verify employer in a position directly related to his or her DHS-approved STEM CIP. For a student who is on a 17-month extension, this employment may include
          - Multiple employers. A student may work for more than one employer, but all employment must be related to his or her degree program and all employers must be enrolled in E-Verify.
          -Work for hire. This is also commonly referred to as 1099 employment, where an individual performs a service based on a contractual relationship rather than an employment relationship. The company for whom the student is providing services must be registered with E-Verify. If requested by DHS, the student must be prepared to provide evidence showing the duration of the contract period and the name and address of the contracting company.
          -Self-employed business owner. A student on a 17-month extension can start a business and be self-employed. In this situation, the student must register his or her business with E-Verify and work full time. The student must be able to prove that he or she has the proper business licenses and is actively engaged in a business related to his or her degree program.
          - Employment through an agency or consulting firm. A student on a 17-month extension may be employed by an employment agency or consulting firm. The employment agency or consulting firm must be registered with E-Verify, but the third parties contracting with the agency or firm (for which the student is providing services) need not be.


          • #6
            Did you do unpaid work for 12 months on opt and successfully get an EAD card for stem opt? I heard that some state starts to reject some stem opt application if the student did unpaid work for more than 3 months on opt