No announcement yet.

B1 to F1 and then CPT

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • B1 to F1 and then CPT

    Hi All,

    I am presently in India and I have a valid B1 for the next 10 years. I want to know if it is possible for me to come to US on a B1 status, change it to F1 and enroll in a University and apply for a CPT. I have heard that there are consultants who handle this for a fee. I am not sure if it is the right place to post but any information would be highly appreciated. In case you cannot post it here please email me on
    Last edited by DesiOPT-FaceBook-Admin; 12-22-2015, 11:57 AM. Reason: Contact Information is not allowed

  • #2
    Your message was posted anonymously on our Facebook wall at 23rd December - Please review comments from other users


    • #3
      First of all you need to have an admission from a university to initiate your COS to F1. Secondly, all accredited US universities require 2 semesters of continuous enrollment prior to which they allow CPT. Many for profit univerities do provide Day 1 CPT. You may have issues later durin OPt or H1B application where a potential RFE can come your way to justify Day 1 CPT and how it was actually necessary to work from Day 1.


      • #4
        Technically, yes. You can come to US and take admission in a school and transfer to F1. However, very few universities offer CPT from day 1. Choosing such a university also depends on your physical location (what city, state) in the US. it would be much easier for you to decide on this once you are in the US and you explore the pros and cons of it based on your requirements and location.


        • #5
          It's not good to come in b1 and change it to f1 when it comes to h1b and green card. As your purpose of visit to the US is different, you are taking a very big risk. I know someone who did this and everything was fine with her. Later when she tried to bring her parents here after several years, their visa got rejected just because she arrived in b1 and later changed her visa without traveling back to her home country.