Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quick Question, are we eligible for tax return if we are on H1b like the way we are

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Question, are we eligible for tax return if we are on H1b like the way we are

Quick Question, are we eligible for tax return if we are on H1b like the way we are when we are on opt or cpt? thanks

This was posted on https://www.facebook.com/desiopt1 on May 3rd 2013

I was told by my company HR that until I am on OPT i will be eligible for refund of portion my federal taxes but once i change status to H1B, I loose that benefit. If we are eligible for tax refund can you please share how to get the refund?

Comment

are you sure about that ?
      I think you don't get any thing in return

Comment

You have to pass a substantial test of presence in US which is 183 days in any current year... If you pass that then you have to file as a resident alien which is not how students on OPT file (you have to itemize your deductions instead of standard deductions available to OPT students)... But if your visa status changed from F1 to H1 in that particular tax year for eg 2012, then you wont pass that substantial presence test and you still have to file as a non-resident which will be just like the way OPT students file taxes..

Comment

Working...
        X