No announcement yet.

Am I allowed to own a business if I am on OPT

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Am I allowed to own a business if I am on OPT

    I have a question. I am on OPT. Am i allowed to own or be a part of a business. The business i am talking about is multi-level sales marketing company called NU skin. I wanted to know if i can become a business partner. They will issue a 1099 form for business write offs to me every year. I wanted to consider all the options before i become a part of the business. I do not want to do anything illegal.

  • #2
    Your question will be posted on our wall at on September 2nd please follow the post and forum.
    *** Don't Miss Important Topics, Subscribe to our Newsletter at ***
    If you feel this community is useful, please invite your friends by following below steps
    1. Goto
    2. Find "Suggest to Your Friends" - Click on "See All" and Invite your friends
    3. If you can't find the link, refer

    F1 visa students find OPT Jobs, CPT Jobs, OPT Employers, H1B Jobs, STEM OPT Jobs, OPT Students


    • #3
      No. Just 1 employer and only on W2. Update regularly with SEVIS whenever you change your employer. 1099 MISC is not an option for you.


      • #4
        this sounds like a pyramid scheme like company. you might want to be careful.


        • #5
          You can do it. Ask your upline to give you cash or personal check.


          • #6
            You can as long as you dont work for the company ... your company must hire a PR holder or a citizen to do the work on your behalf untill you gain status where you can work for your own ... Its a gray area and only immigration lawyer can guide you in a better way ... any state immigration lawyer can guide you as immigration is a federal law once you get clear picture on what all you can or can not do, you can talk to a business lawyer for the establishment or probably joining an existing business


            • #7
              Found this on a popular university site – “The student must be able to prove that he or she has the proper business licenses and is actively engaged in a business related to the student's degree program - ” It is best to consult with a lawyer if you are setting up a business. As you say, you don’t want to get into anything illegally.