No announcement yet.

I20 question

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I20 question

    So I failed to submit my I20 extension in time so i have to activate my new ( innitial ) i20 again by re-entering US.
    Since my student visa is expired and i can't go back to my home country to renew it im considering going to either mexico or canada and come back. My passport is still valid for 6 months foward.
    1. For Canada/Mexico do i need a visiting visa or some sorts of documents?
    2. Can i make a same-day trip ( fly out and fly back right away )
    3. Which one would you guys suggest me? Canada or Mexico?

    One more thing. "With an initial I-20 students are not allowed to enter the U.S. any earlier than 30 days before the program start date shown on page 1 of the I-20. "
    I dont understand this statement, so does it mean I have to wait 30 days to do the re-entering process?
    Please help me as it's urgent. Thanks.

  • #2
    Your question will be reviewed by our moderator and posted on our wall at within 24-72 hours please follow the post and forum.
    *** Don't Miss Important Topics, Subscribe to our Newsletter at ***
    If you feel this community is useful, please invite your friends by following below steps
    1. Goto
    2. Find "Suggest to Your Friends" - Click on "See All" and Invite your friends
    3. If you can't find the link, refer

    In addition to the readers comments, You can also call attorneys for free advice. DesiOPT is collaborating with group of attorneys. You can contact them directly via email/ phone. Initial Consult is Free. Their information is listed on home page.
    we are providing direct links as well, please let us know your feedback after the call

    F1 visa students find OPT Jobs, CPT Jobs, OPT Employers, H1B Jobs, STEM OPT Jobs, OPT Students



    • #3
      1) Canada needs a visiting visa to enter the country, while Mexico doesn't need a visiting visa up to 72 hrs. Canada visit visa may take up to 3days for approval, so I would avoid.
      However, you will need a new F1 visa to enter back into USA as I see u mentioned student visa expired.
      2) I don't think u can do the same day fly back thing, cos it might take 2-3 business days for you to get your passport with the new visa like the first time.
      3) 30 day rule- u can enter within 30days from ur semester start date meaning if u go out of the country today I.e July 11, and if your semester doesn't start until till August 20, you can only enter into USA with a new visa after July 20th, as ur semester would be 30days from July 20th.
      Hope this helps. Good luck!!


      • #4
        Mexico is risky ,you can only stay for 72 hrs and since you need a new visa its not recommend at all .Best option would be to go back to home country and get a new F1visa and come back. You can only enter 30 days before the official semester start date given by the University .


        • #5
          Hi friends,

          I have a question regarding the SEVIS. My H1 didnt got pick for this year and i'm going to do my second Masters. The thing is i got the Admission in a university from Sep 4 but my visa is going to expire on July 19th. I made the arrangements for my SEVIS transfer to the new university on 16th July. So is there any problem for my status if i stay in US without going to university for 2 months? I heard that i have grace period of 60 days to register into a new university after my visa expiration but suddenly i got a doubt regarding that. Please let me know if i'm wrong or let me if there is any problem with my current situation.

          Thanks in advance!


          • #6
            No problem as long as u get ur sevis transferred within the 60 day period. Once sevis is transferred, u ll automatically be on F1 from F1- opt status .


            • #7
              Your message was posted anonymously on our Facebook wall at on July - 11th - Please review comments from other users.