Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CPT Problem: ISSO told it was illegal to work- Either leave country or delete payroll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPT Problem: ISSO told it was illegal to work- Either leave country or delete payroll

One of my Friend started doing Internship without applying for CPT. He taught that its okay to start work and apply for CPT later and submit it to company. Company asked him the I20 and he showed the I20 he had. After 15 days payroll got generated and Department of Homeland Security send an notice to my friend saying that something is missing in the documentation contact your ISSO office when my friend contacted the ISSO they told it was illegal to work and now he cant apply for CPT or OPT in the future. He also has to resign from internship which he did immediately .
    They give few options to my friend:
    i) If the company deletes the records of him from payroll etc.
    ii) He has to leave this country and re-enter so that he has new I94 and then he can apply for OPT & CPT.
    Any valuable suggestions are really appreciated......

This was posted on https://www.facebook.com/desiopt1 on June 29th 2013

The same as what happened to us. Any suggestions here ?

Comment

Hi, I experienced it this week. I did not apply for Cpt and got notice from the department of homeland security to get in touch with my school. I also talked to a very dear friend of mine and she suggested that I request my company to hold my salary till I get the Cpt paperwork done. My company agreed and stopped my salary from coming in. Meanwhile I got in touch with my school to get my paperwork done. I did not work till it was done (just one day). The next day my school confirmed I am authorized to work and so did my company. I only lost one day of work. I will also get my entire salary for my hours since I began my internship. It all comes down to - your paycheque should NOT come in before paperwork is complete. And this happened to me on monday 24th.

Comment

He will most likely leave the country because his sevis will be terminated by the dso, in which case he will have to apply for Re-Instatement from his home country, come on a new SEVIS number .Since its a new SEVIS number,he'll be ineligible for CPT for another 9 months.
        If the DSO is willing to pardon the student for illegal work and not terminate the students record(something which DSO's dont usually do), just provide him with what he needs. Getting reinstated for working illegal is highly unlikely and should never be done.

Comment

Talk to isso, they should be able to put in your details. And the company can reverse your payroll.

Comment

Why people act so dumb, don't assume stuffs. Talk with your DSO before you do anything.

Comment

I wonder which company is processing salary without candidate's CPT I20. Guys please ask your seniors before joining any company. This could result very bad on your government records. Don't be stupid, job is not important, important is to maintain your status legally.

Comment

you are very lucky, that it cost only one day salary and NO SERIOUS implication. You are also lucky that your company agreed to hold the paycheck and didnt check your CPT recommendation on I20.
                Anyways, I still don't get why would somebody risk his career just because they are lazy to talk to anybody. Seriously, CPT and off campus job are the first thing International Student office usually tell the new student.
                Also, if somebody is reading this and didnt know: This is true for OPT students, you need to apply before you can actually start a off campus job.

Comment

Can h4 students apply for cpt

Comment

Hi, I am a new international student in the USA. I want to apply for cpt . Currently doing MSc in comp and info systems. Please is how do I go about the application? I want to start up immediately. Help

Comment

Working...
                    X