Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• work hours more than 40hrs in CPT

Hello,

I got two internship offers in summer, one from a reputed company and one from a local company. Bigger company had given me 20hrs and I took part time CPT and the smaller company gave me 40hrs of job. I asked my international advisor and she said I can work for both the companies as a full time CPT and part time CPT at the same time. SO the total number of hours will be 60, but I will be working only for 45-50hrs. Currently I am done with my 3rd semester and I am left out only with the project. So may be I will be graduating this december or May 2014. Kindly let me know if I can work for more than 40hrs including both the jobs and will it effect my H1 chances in future??

Thanks in advance. Hoping fora quick reply.

Your message will be posted on Facebook wall:http://www.facebook.com/desiopt1. Please follow your post on Facebook and Forum. Thanks-DesiOPT

Comment

Originally posted by Murali Krishna View Post
      Hello,

I got two internship offers in summer, one from a reputed company and one from a local company. Bigger company had given me 20hrs and I took part time CPT and the smaller company gave me 40hrs of job. I asked my international advisor and she said I can work for both the companies as a full time CPT and part time CPT at the same time. SO the total number of hours will be 60, but I will be working only for 45-50hrs. Currently I am done with my 3rd semester and I am left out only with the project. So may be I will be graduating this december or May 2014. Kindly let me know if I can work for more than 40hrs including both the jobs and will it effect my H1 chances in future??

Thanks in advance. Hoping fora quick reply.
      USCIS defines 20 hours per week as part time CPT and 40 hrs per week as full time CPT during the spring and fall semester. You cannot exceed these hours depending on you are part time or full time.

For summer time, its your vacation time.
      you are allowed to work 20 hours or more, there is no part time or full time.
      So you can work as many hours you like during summer, provided its been authorized by CIS of your school in your I-20 and provided you haven't broken any of the labor laws (which is more concerned towards your employer/company)

Hope it helps.
      Good Luck

Comment

I am also on CPT, my advisor said that i can't work more then 40 hrs. I asked to several people regarding this and they said the same. Don't take any chances.

Comment

you can work unlimited hours in summer on CPT!

Comment

40 hours is the max(full time) for CPT students.
            It will be a visa violation if do more than 40

Comment

Under CPT you cannot work for 2 companies simultaneously irrespective of university... Even if it's 20 hrs each! I had been in this same situation this summer and I had to decline offer from one company!

Comment

pichekkistunnaruga ga reddy garuu

Comment

U ll be in big trouble if you get caught... 1 company 40 hrs max.. Period..

Comment

check with your international advisor..i think if you work for 40 hrs on CPT..you being ineligible for OPT..not sure though

Comment

Working...
                    X