No announcement yet.

CPT taxes as contractor

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • CPT taxes as contractor


    I did my internship as an independent contractor for 3 months under my CPT. The employer did not deduct any taxes from my salary, as I was told that I was supposed to pay taxes on my own. The question I have is will my state and federal taxes be exempted because I am on CPT and on a F1 VISA as a full time student. The reason I ask this is because I was refunded my state/federal taxes which was withheld by employer when I was working on campus in my school.

  • #2
    Your question will be reviewed by our moderator and posted on our wall at within 24-72 hours please follow the post and forum.
    *** Don't Miss Important Topics, Subscribe to our Newsletter at ***
    If you feel this community is useful, please invite your friends by following below steps
    1. Goto
    2. Find "Suggest to Your Friends" - Click on "See All" and Invite your friends
    3. If you can't find the link, refer

    In addition to the readers comments, You can also call attorneys for free advice. DesiOPT is collaborating with group of attorneys. You can contact them directly via email/ phone. Initial Consult is Free. Their information is listed on home page.
    we are providing direct links as well, please let us know your feedback after the call



    • #3
      Your message was posted as anonymous on Facebook wall- (Nov 15th)


      • #4
        If your annual income is less than 9600$ then u will get full refund for state and federal taxes but not city tax. For now, u pay the taxes for your cpt income. Next year when u file tax returns u will get back the amount that u r supposed to


        • #5
          9600 or 96000? Can you please confirm?


          • #6
            1 nope . on f1 only fica taxes are exempted for 5 yrs from the day u enter into usa


            • #7
              You have to pay state and federal tax even though you are working on CPT !!


              • #8
                You would had been refunded the entire withholdings the financial year when you first entered the USA. and the reason for this was you were below the minimum salary annually for which you start paying taxes.