No announcement yet.

I will lose my CPT

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I will lose my CPT

    Get OPT/CPT Experiences. subscribe via

    I got a project, but because of Thanksgiving holiday my prof took early leave so I am unable to do my CPT documentation work.

    -My joining date is Dec 2nd and if I don't confirm the date I have to lose the project.
    -I am expecting to get the new I20 Dec 6th.

    1. In that case is there any way that I can join on Dec 2 without authorization?
    2. Is there any way that I can start CPT 3-4 days early before my I20 is valid?
    3. Even I am ready to do unpaid before my authorization. Plz tell me what should I do in that case

    This was posted on on 26th November 2013

  • #2
    Try requesting your employer or your professor. But it is not safe to work even unpaid


    • #3
      1 it is illegal .. up to u and u r employer to chose to use this path ..
      2 nope ..
      3 unpaid also illegal ..

      if u can change u r start date or change u r CPT start date ..


      • #4
        Talk to your school international office . For unpaid intern you don't need work authorization but do need to register some course. It depends on university and international office


        • #5
          Try to get extension for joining date citing reasons of thanksgiving vacation issues. Thanksgiving is a genuine reason every employer respects. It is recommended to start project on a fresh I-20. Good Luck !