[FONT=comic sans ms][B][SIZE=4]F1 Student Taxes [/SIZE][/B][/FONT][SIZE=3][FONT=comic sans ms]In general Aliens performing services in the United States as employees are liable for U.S. Social Security and Medicare taxes. However, certain classes of Alien employees are exempt from U.S. Social Security and Medicare taxes.
[/FONT][/SIZE][FONT=comic sans ms][SIZE=3][B]
Foreign Student Liability for Social Security and Medicare Taxes[/B][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][B]Less then 5 years: [/B]Foreign students in F-1, J-1, M-1, Q-1 or Q-2 nonimmigrant status who have been in the United States [COLOR=#0000ff]less than 5 calendar years[/COLOR] are still NONRESIDENT ALIENS and are still [COLOR=#0000ff]exempt [/COLOR]from social security/Medicare taxes.This exemption also applies to any period in which the foreign student is in "practical training" allowed by USCIS, as long as the foreign student is still a NONRESIDENT ALIEN under the Internal Revenue Code. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][B]More than 5 Calendar Years:[/B] Foreign students in F-1, J-1, M-1, Q-1 or Q-2 nonimmigrant status who have been in the United States [COLOR=#0000ff]more than 5 calendar years[/COLOR] are RESIDENT ALIENS and are [COLOR=#0000ff]liable [/COLOR]for social security/Medicare taxes (unless they are exempt from FICA under the "student FICA exemption" discussed below).
[/FONT][SIZE=3][FONT=comic sans ms][B]Calendar Year calculations: [/B]When measuring an alien’s date of entry for the purposes of determining the five calendar years or the two calendar years mentioned above, the actual date of entry is not important. It is the [COLOR=#0000ff]calendar year of entry[/COLOR] which is counted toward the two or five calendar years respectively. Thus, for example, a foreign student who enters the United States on December 31, 1998 counts 1998 as the first of his five years as an "exempt individual."[/FONT][/SIZE][FONT=comic sans ms]

[SIZE=3][B]What services are Exempt:[/B] F-visas, J-visas, M-visas, Q-visas. Nonresident Alien students, scholars, professors, teachers, trainees, researchers, physicians, au pairs, summer camp workers, and other aliens temporarily present in the United States in F-1,J-1,M-1, or Q-1/Q-2 nonimmigrant status are [COLOR=#0000ff]exempt on wages [/COLOR]paid to them for services performed within the United States as long as such services are allowed by USCIS for these nonimmigrant statuses, and such services are performed to carry out the purposes for which such visas were issued to them. [/SIZE][SIZE=3]Exempt Employment includes:
[LIST][*][SIZE=3]On-campus student employment up to 20 hours a week (40 hrs during summer vacations).[/SIZE][*][SIZE=3]Off-campus student employment allowed by USCIS.[/SIZE][*][SIZE=3]Practical Training student employment on or off campus.[/SIZE][*][SIZE=3]Employment as professor, teacher or researcher.[/SIZE][*][SIZE=3]Employment as a physician, au pair, or summer camp worker.[/SIZE][/LIST]

[SIZE=3]Source: http://1.usa.gov/18dc6aH[/SIZE][SIZE=3]
[SIZE=3][B]Federal, state, and local taxes Withholding[/B]
[SIZE=3]Unless you qualify under a tax treaty between the United States and your home government, your earnings as an F-1 student [COLOR=#0000ff]will be subject [/COLOR]to applicable federal, state, and local taxes, and employers are required by law to withhold those taxes from your paychecks. By April 15 of each year, you must file a federal income tax return and a Form 8843, "Statement for Exempt Individuals, covering the prior calendar year--whether you owe more taxes or not and a 1040NR-EZ if any federal taxes is withheld. Always make sure to let your employer know your visa status. [/SIZE]


[SIZE=3][B]Refunding your Social Security and Medicare Taxes[/B][/SIZE][SIZE=3]
[SIZE=3]If social security or Medicare taxes were withheld in [COLOR=#0000ff]error [/COLOR]from pay that is not subject to these taxes, contact the employer who withheld the taxes for a refund.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]If you are unable to get a full refund of the amount from your employer, file a claim for refund with the Internal Revenue Service on Form 843, Claim for Refund and Request for Abatement (PDF). [/SIZE]

IRS Form 843

[SIZE=3][B][FONT=comic sans ms]No Income? Tax Form 8843[/FONT][/B]
[FONT=comic sans ms]What is Form 8843?[/FONT]
[FONT=comic sans ms]Form 8843 is not an income tax return. Form 8843 is merely an informational statement required by the U.S. government for certain nonresident aliens (including the spouses or dependents of nonresident aliens)[/FONT]

[FONT=comic sans ms]Who Must File Form 8843?[/FONT]
[FONT=comic sans ms]All nonresident aliens present in the U.S. under F-1, F-2, J-1, or J-2 nonimmigrant status must file Form 8843 "Statement for Exempt Individuals and Individuals With a Medical Condition"—even if they received NO income during 2012. Form 8843 must be filed if an individual is:[/FONT]
[/SIZE][LIST][*][SIZE=3][FONT=comic sans ms]present in the U.S. (Tax Year)[/FONT][/SIZE][*][SIZE=3][FONT=comic sans ms]a nonresident alien[/FONT][/SIZE][*][SIZE=3][FONT=comic sans ms]present in the U.S. under F-1, F-2, J-1, or J-2 status[/FONT][/SIZE][/LIST]
[SIZE=3][FONT=comic sans ms]
More at: http://www.iss.washington.edu/no-income[/FONT]
[FONT=comic sans ms]8843 Form: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8843.pdf
[/FONT][FONT=comic sans ms]Non Resident Alien or Resident Alien[B]:[/B][/FONT][/SIZE][SIZE=3][FONT=comic sans ms]http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p519.pdf[/FONT]

[B][FONT=comic sans ms]Tax FAQ's[/FONT][/B]
[FONT=comic sans ms]I found Tax FAQ's from Buffalo.edu useful[/FONT]
[FONT=comic sans ms]http://wings.buffalo.edu/intlservices/tax_faqs.html

[/FONT][COLOR=#3E3E3E][FONT=comic sans ms]Disclaimer: [/FONT][/COLOR]http://bit.ly/163AglR[/SIZE]