[B][COLOR=#0000cd]OPT/CPT Blast Resume to 2500+ employers [/COLOR]
[/B]
[SIZE=3][FONT=comic sans ms][B][COLOR=#0000cd][SIZE=4]Am I eligible for OPT if Masters completed in less than 1 year?[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

Students pursuing Masters and looking to complete degree requirements within 1 year have this question in mind. Few DesiOPT readers have shared their opinion on this topic. Listing responses from readers:

[B]Response:[/B] Yes, you can get OPT for completing Masters in 1 Academic year even I got OPT and I completed my masters in 11 months !! It shouldn't be a problem !!

[B]Response: [/B]For OPT you should maintain F-1 status for two semester + should be on F-1 at the time you apply for OPT. But still confirming with DSO doesn't harm.

[B]Response:[/B] Every university has different set of rules for being eligible for OPT application. you might have to check with the office of international affairs from your university for the rules that apply to you. e.g for our university they say that you need to be on F1 at the time of application(1 year period on F1 is not compulsory)

[B]Response: [/B]Check with offce of international students of your university. Every university has different rules. I changed my status from H4 to F1. For me rule was 2 consecutive sem+ F1 status at the time of filing OPT. In some universities it is 1 sem/ quarter + f1 status at the time of filing. Talk to your OISS ahead and do all formalities well on time to avoid hassle .

[B]Response:[/B] Hmm you need one full academic to get opt.. and academic year is defined by university ..

Eligibility criteria listed by universities (listing few)

As per dartmouth.edu

Q: Am I eligible for OPT?
A: F-1 students who have been enrolled in legal status for a minimum of nine months are eligible for up to twelve (12) months of Optional Practical Training (OPT) work authorization by the U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS). Employment under OPT must be directly related to a student's field of study and appropriate to the level of education.
More: [U]http://bit.ly/1pJHB7K[/U]

As per syr.edu: OPT Eligibility
In order to be eligible to apply for OPT, you must meet all of the following requirements:
Be an F-1 student visa holder who has been enrolled full-time for at least one full academic year prior to submitting an OPT application (Year enrollment may be fulfilled at Syracuse University, a previous University, or between multiple universities.) More: [U]http://bit.ly/1lO9Guu[/U]

As per cornell.edu
What are the Eligibility Requirements for F-1 Optional Practical Training?
To be eligible to apply for optional practical training, you must: (1) have been a full time enrolled student in the U.S. for at least one academic year by the requested start date of your OPT, and (2) be in F-1 status when you apply.

As per ncsu.edu
F-1 students must have maintained status and fulltime enrollment for at least one full academic year and be in good academic standing to apply for OPT. In addition, F-1 students must have maintained the terms and conditions of F-1 status and obtained the recommendation of their academic advisor (DGP) to be eligible for OPT. Also, if a student has engaged in more than 12 months of full-time Curricular Practical Training (CPT), the student is ineligible for any OPT.
More: [U]http://bit.ly/1pJHXvc[/U]

[B]Conclusion: [/B]As suggested by readers, it is always a good idea to check with your DSO to find the requirements for OPT and One Academic year. Also check USCIS OPT rules and clarify the same with your DSO.

[/FONT][/SIZE][B][COLOR=#0000cd]OPT/CPT Blast Resume to 2500+ employers [/COLOR][/B]