Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Laid off While Stem extension is pending

Okay. I did not do anything.I decided to wait for my card and let my OPT days get used up. My case got approved on day 92 and I got my card last week. I cant say in your case because it has just been 49 days. I have heard that USCIS checks your case within the first 30 days or so but I can not say for sure.

Good Luck with your search.

Quote Originally Posted by pikolo View Post
    Okay. I did not do anything.I decided to wait for my card and let my OPT days get used up. My case got approved on day 92 and I got my card last week. I cant say in your case because it has just been 49 days. I have heard that USCIS checks your case within the first 30 days or so but I can not say for sure.

Good Luck with your search.
    Thanks! Did you receive a new job offer between this time? If yes did you start immediately and inform DSO or you just waited for your EAD and then joined?

My offer and the card came in the same week.

Quote Originally Posted by pikolo View Post
    My offer and the card came in the same week.
    Okay Did you also report to your DSO about your unemployment within 10 days of laid off?

Yes. I did.

I am currently working at a firm through which I had applied for my Stem-Opt back in mid June. However, I will be leaving the company on 15th of August during which I will still not have my EAD card in hand as the application is still processing. So, I will definitely be unemployed for a few days. During this period am I allowed to use my remaining Standard OPT unemployment days even if I haven't received my Stem-OPT card? Please let me know if I can use it or else what other option do I have.