Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lost passport while on OPT, please help

Hi Raghu Can you please email me once on ksrinii89@gmail.com. I have same issue now ..

I have exactly the same situation as you. can you let me know if you got details on it. my mail ID is ksrinii89@gmail.com

Similar situation

Quote Originally Posted by mish View Post
    Hi Raghu,

I had lost my passport too and went through the rough process of getting a new one last year. I was about to start a new job and unfortunately for me, I lost it before I applied for my SSN and other documents that are required while taking up a new job adding on to my hassles.

Here is what I can tell you from my experience-
    Since you already have applied for your OPT and SSN there is no impediment for you to take up a new job and start working. It is advisable to apply and get your passport from the Indian Embassy in the US as soon as you can. You can do it by post or in person. For stamping the best (n kind of only) option is to go to India but I would strongly recommend you to not do it now for two reasons; the current situation is unpredictable making the stamping affair more risky, going to India and coming back on an inactive status that is after graduation and before joining a new job can be a tricky affair depending on a lot of things (I would need more info to see where you stand there). Your lost visa is still valid and active and will not create any issues till you don't go out of the country ( I assming you have a copy of the lost visa). You can get it stamped in Canada too but thats a more cumbersome process as they take approx 3 weeks sometimes to return your passport after stamping and that means you cannot re-enter the US and are stuck in Canada till then. If you are applying for H1 this year then it makes more sense to wait and then go for H1 stamping (if you get picked) after October. In case you are not applying for H1 this year you may wait for a 2-3 months to have enough proof of an active job and then go for F1 stamping.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have more questions.
    Hi read your response. Im in a similar situation. But I have informed the US consulate in India that I have lost my visa so I think my visa is now invalid. I got a new passport made from New York but I would have to go back immediately for getting F1 stamped from India. Is it possible they will reject it since Im in OPT? I have an employer now and they will file for H1B in April, but I need a F1 before that. Any suggestions?

Im in a similar situation. I got my new passport. however, I notified the US consulate in India that I have lost it (I was asked to send an email to USTRAVELDOCS with passport,visa copies and police report) and will be needing to apply for a new one. So im guessing my visa is invalid now. Is there less possiblity that the f1 will be acccepted since Im on OPT? Has anyone's visa been rejected in this situation?

I too lost my passport a few months ago. I'm in search of a job. I hoping to get a job within 2 months. What shall I do? I've still not applied for a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by PreethiJ View Post
    I too lost my passport a few months ago. I'm in search of a job. I hoping to get a job within 2 months. What shall I do? I've still not applied for a new one.
    Hi preethij please email me at akhilmenon4209@gmail.com. We can discuss on this