Which is better: CPT from Day 1 Vs.Joining PHD program?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DesiOPTForumAdmin
    Administrator
    • Mar 2013

Which is better: CPT from Day 1 Vs.Joining PHD program?

As we know USCIS is returning rejected cap-subject H-1B petitions for FY2015. There are number of OPT students who have not heard positive decisions from USCIS.

Keeping this in mind, One of our reader Viswa had suggested DesiOPT to throw light on below topics

1. Which is better: CPT from Day1 Vs. Joining PHD program
    2. Universities offering CPT from Day1? Are they genuine?

I gave it a thought and felt, it would be nice if other's shared their views as well. Do share your thoughts by commenting below. Thanks-DesiOPT
  • Viswa Bharath Kolla
    • May 2013

1. As far as I know, It would be better to join in PHD. Because MS doesn't provide you a OPT period again as per USCIS rules. The probability of H1 getting picked decreases by next year. There is no guarantee that your H1 gets picked next year as well. PHD enables you to get a GC by end of OPT period of GC as per USCIS rules. So You GC will be in your hand by 4.5 years max. You can work on CPT for an year, utilize your OPT, get completely into research and settle down. Even if you go back to your home country you will be easily paid atleast 2000 USD as Principal/Director to some or the other Engineering college. At the end of the day, its a personal decision.
    2. I have a list of few universities such as Goldey Beacom, ITU and few more. But CPT for more than an year is not recommendable as these students face several issues while H1 and GC processing as well (Heard from few people who experienced this). These universities are genuine but the consequences are not yet assessed completely.

Comment

• DesiOPT-FaceBook-Admin
      Administrator
      • Mar 2013

Your message was posted as anonymous on Facebook wall- (May 7th)

Comment

• DesiOPT-FaceBook-Fan
        • Mar 2013

i guess CPT from day 1

Comment

• DesiOPT-FaceBook-Fan
          • Mar 2013

CPT would be better option I would say. For PHD one should have enough passion towards it.

2. ITU, SULLIVAN Univ

Comment

• DesiOPT-FaceBook-Fan
            • Mar 2013

I go with CPT from day 1 may not be possible with some good universities as some rules are changing soon and I would suggest Phd program to those ones who are more passionate to do otherwise it is not worth it . I suggest people thoroughly do keen analysis on there situation to proceed and more over beware of online universities Which spoils your sevis record. And please go with some good universities even though u feel it expensive or which takes effort.

Comment

• DesiOPT-FaceBook-Fan
              • Mar 2013

ITU , Sullivan is not good university's pls don't go non accreditation colleges pls pls

Comment

• DesiOPT-FaceBook-Fan
                • Mar 2013

ITU was not accreditated but now it is accredited but I don't think that it is reputed , or I don't think that its diploma is useful to file h1 > http://en.m.wikipedia.org/.../Intern..._Technological...

Comment

• DesiOPT-FaceBook-Fan
                  • Mar 2013

GBC in Delaware is good option.

Comment

• DesiOPT-FaceBook-Fan
                    • Mar 2013

My H1 was not approved 2 yrs back and I went to ITU which gives CPT from day 1 and the good news is now it is accredited university. Recently my H1 got approved.

Comment

• DesiOPT-FaceBook-Fan
                      • Mar 2013

Response from 1. As far as I know, It would be better to join in PHD. Because MS doesn't provide you a OPT period again as per USCIS rules. The probability of H1 getting picked decreases by next year. There is no guarantee that your H1 gets picked next year as well. PHD enables you to get a GC by end of OPT period of GC as per USCIS rules. So You GC will be in your hand by 4.5 years max. You can work on CPT for an year, utilize your OPT, get completely into research and settle down. Even if you go back to your home country you will be easily paid atleast 2000 USD as Principal/Director to some or the other Engineering college. At the end of the day, its a personal decision.
                      2. I have a list of few universities such as Goldey Beacom, ITU and few more. But CPT for more than an year is not recommendable as these students face several issues while H1 and GC processing as well (Heard from few people who experienced this). These universities are genuine but the consequences are not yet assessed completely.

Comment

• fatima21
                        • Jul 2015

As we know USCIS is returning rejected cap-subject H-1B petitions for FY2015. There are number of OPT students who have not heard positive decisions from USCIS.

Comment

• anonymous1234
                          • Jan 2017

President Biden and Vice President Harris promised to move quickly to deliver results for working families. That’s what they’ve done.

Please sign this

Comment

• SupahBeulah
                            • Feb 2017

If you think USCIS is stupid, you better think again. They are probably reading these posts and adjusting the way they check documents from India specifically. Most of the fraud is happening from that country so the rejection rate is much higher. You cannot keep trying find loopholes in the system (such as mom and pop universities, working on CPT in your first sememster etc). In a sense you are telling immigration that you have dual intent indirectly and that is why most of you all will get rejected. You don't use F1 Visa for its intended purpose. Most Indians are using it to come to America and start work. They can care less about the grades they are getting because the mom and pop universities will adjust it either way. Trust me USCIS already knows.

Comment

Working...
                            X