Thread: Once I'll have I-20, do I have to go back for stamping?

Once I'll have I-20, do I have to go back for stamping?

I'm on H1B status right now. I got approval last year and it got changed in October 2019. I planned for stamping but due COVID-19 I cancelled. My employer decided to close permanently byJune 30, 2020. I'll have 60 days grace period after that. I'm planning to pursue Master in different major at state university. My question is once I'll have I-20, do I have to go back for stamping?

Thank you!

Hi, I was on same situation, I have reached out to a DSO of major university to do a change of status from H1 to F1 - She replied "F1 works based on SEVIS, in order to activate the SEVIS we have to get a VISA stamped on a Passport and re-enter in to USA, There is no way for any University to convert from H1 to F1. But non dual intent Visas like B1/B2, H4,F2... are exceptional for Change of status to F1. Since H visas are dual intent visas we can work and study on H1B". I suggest you to find a employer with a job and continue on H1B or atleast wait untill MEXICO/ CANADA opens their border where you can get a VISA stamped at any US embassy and reneter. This website may help you https://usvisastampinginmexico.com/