DesiOPT-FaceBook-Admin

Obama's immigration reform: How it benefits Indians in the US

Rate this Entry
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][B][COLOR=#0000FF]Obama's immigration reform: How it benefits Indians in the US[/COLOR][/B]

OPT/CPT Blast Resume to 2500+ employers

On Thursday night, when US president Barack Obama took recourse to executive action to push through a muchanticipated immigration reform plan, there were sighs of relief heard in many pockets in the US that are home to Indian students and skilled workers

Unsurprisingly, the maximum benefits from US immigration reforms as far as Indians are concerned address the highly skilled workers — many of them on H1B and L1 work permits and waiting in long green card queues.

Most of them are on H1B extensions [beyond six years]. President Obama has directed the US Citizenship and Immigration Services and department of state to work things out so that visa numbers that remain unused from the total number cap are reallocated to those waiting in the line.

[B]The optional practical training (OPT) period — when they can finish their courses and look for a job — is being extended from 24 months to 36 months. [/B]

“While the definition of STEM streams may be expanded to include additional programmes and the period extended, this will come with tighter process control over students, institutions and employers.

Earlier government reports had raised concerns about the potential misuse of the OPT programme, which are likely to be plugged, " says Dr Rahul Choudaha, chief knowledge officer at World Education Services, a New York-based non-profit specializing in international higher education.

[B]Cheer for Some [/B]

The DHS is finalising new rules to give certain H1B spouses (on H4 visas) employment authorisation to work in the US, a step that has been welcomed by thousands of Indian women.

President Obama has paved the way to provide employment authorisation for spouses of H1B visa holders.

Read More : http://bit.ly/1qZyNP1

OPT/CPT Blast Resume to 2500+ employers[/SIZE][/FONT]
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
H1-B Visa , OPT STEM

Comments

When can STEM students expect to see the OPT extension policy as a law (36 months as suggested) so that it could help them plan their H1B process.
    I have the same question. I'm on my STEM ext right now and it expires in feb 2015. Will I be able take advantage of this new law?
    I am already in my OPT STEM which is still NOV 2015..Does anyone have an idea if I will be able to extend it further based on the new laws?
    Will there be a similar extension of additional 12 months of OPT for non-STEM grads?