PDA

View Full Version : Change of status from H4 to F1

Sonal Aggarwal Gupta
06-16-2013, 10:52 PM
Hi everyone!

I am joining a university in this fall and I want to change my status from H4 to F1. I can not change it by siting in US, as it might take more than 3 months and I don't have that much of time. The only option I have, is to go back to India, or get it stamped from Canada. I really don't want to go to India right now, and I am really skeptical about going to Canada. Have anyone of you ever got his/ her F1 approved from Canada before? If yes, Could you please tell me how long does it take and whether it is possible or not?

Thanks a ton in advance. I really like your comments and suggestions. keep up the good work...

Regards..

H4F1questions
06-17-2013, 05:22 PM
Hi,

I am also looking for a univ for my wife. Any university which is to enroll and maintain status and get OPT in the end to get on job.

DesiOPT-FaceBook-Fan
06-21-2013, 07:09 AM
I got it changed in india

DesiOPT-FaceBook-Fan
06-21-2013, 07:11 AM
You can join the university as H4 and apply for change of status to F1. I know friends who did the same thing.

DesiOPT-FaceBook-Fan
06-21-2013, 07:12 AM
Hi it's not possible to get your F1 stamped in Canada. Either you can go to India or start studying on H4 and then apply for change of status. Hope this helps.

DesiOPT-FaceBook-Fan
06-21-2013, 07:13 AM
U can study on H4 and then change ur status to F1. I did the same thing and ill be studying on F1 this fall.

DesiOPT-FaceBook-Fan
06-21-2013, 07:13 AM
hi where in idia did you get. I have an appointment this tursday in chennai. Did they ask questions?

DesiOPT-FaceBook-Fan
06-21-2013, 07:14 AM
U can start studying on H4, but the glitch is u cannot opt for COP or OPT. Hence apply fr change of visa status, H4 to F1 and get ur visa stamped the next time u go to India, not necessary that u go now.

DesiOPT-FaceBook-Fan
06-21-2013, 07:14 AM
I got my f1 visa renewed in Canada. the procedure is the same but you will get your passport back within a day.

DesiOPT-FaceBook-Fan
06-21-2013, 07:15 AM
You can start with H4, if you have been on H4 status you would also be eligible for the in state tuition fees while on F1 you would pay international fees. Anyways when you join an institute you can start with your CPT right away , so while you are in midst of your studies apply for a change in status.

DesiOPT-FaceBook-Fan
06-21-2013, 07:15 AM
I have changed my status from L1B to F1 and then get it stamped in Canada, i had no issues, however i am not sure whether it is possible for H4 guys, probably you can drop an email to canada US consulate, then they can confirm your case.

H4F1questions
07-22-2013, 12:16 PM
Hi,

Which college did you applied for? Any such univ or institutes which give cpt and maintain status without going to classes. Even if once a week class is fine. PLease let me know

vinaychi
01-10-2014, 06:11 PM
Hi,

Is it safe to get f1 visa stamped in india ? My wife is on her h4 now and she got an admit for the university here. We were planning to go to india and get our f1 done instead of COS here in Usa.
Please let me know if this is safe.She got admit from univ of illinois,chicago. Iam currently on my h1b.

Thanks

kanchana2805
01-15-2014, 09:37 AM
Hi I'm planning for the same . can you help me in knowing the documents for this process. And also can I mention OPT / CPT is the reason for my change of status or any other reason to be mentioned. can you tell me which reason is most appreciated and highly approved ? awaiting for your reply

DesiOPTForumAdmin
01-15-2014, 01:12 PM
Hi I'm planning for the same . can you help me in knowing the documents for this process. And also can I mention OPT / CPT is the reason for my change of status or any other reason to be mentioned. can you tell me which reason is most appreciated and highly approved ? awaiting for your reply

There had been numerous discussions on H4 to F1 visa conversion, Travel, during this phase, Visa Stamping. Few discussion links are listed below

http://forum.desiopt.com/showthread.php/1341-h4-to-f1-transfer
http://forum.desiopt.com/showthread.php/617-Change-of-status-from-H4-to-F1
https://www.facebook.com/desiopt1/posts/698000983550607
https://www.facebook.com/desiopt1/posts/680096765341029
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?id=498711916812849&story_fbid=709943919022980
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?id=498711916812849&story_fbid=761500833867288

We suggest you to search DesiOPT Forums and Facebook Page for similar posts and valuable suggestions from readers.
DesiOPT Forums: http://desiopt.com/forum/forum.php
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/desiopt1

If you have any other specific question that's not been addressed in our Forums/Facebook posts then provide details and write back to us. Thanks DesiOPT Team.

ASHISH GODARA
01-22-2014, 06:20 PM
I NEED AN ADVICE PLEASE GUIDE ME
My educational background involve I have done 2 bachelor [1]Bachelor in arts[2]Bachelor in law

My future aim is to settle down in usa ----I find education is only mode by which i can get a job in usa and thereby earn salary there. I am from a middle class family and taking a huge loan and coming to usa KEEPING IN MIND THAT I WILL REPAY IT when i get job. After searching i found out that i have 2 option

First to do mba from there [which provide me 1 year of opt and 1 chance to apply for h1b]

READ BELOW, PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG AND SHOW ME REAL PICTURE
OF IT FIELD IN USA

but after some research i found that if i do stem degrees [masters in computer information system] i get 29 month extension and 3 chance of h1b process and i also came to know that most of h1b sponsors are hiring graduate students from IT field especially computers.and it is easy to find a job in IT field comparatively if you done an mba from a university not in top 20 as i cant afford those due to high tuition.Another reason is that as we know that h1b is a lottery so if i do mba and donot come into a lottery than icant work in usa and if i couldnot work in usa i cant pay my loan expenses by working in india and this education dream will be a curse and i donot want to go under that situation But if i choose an masters in computers even if i couldnot get a job in 1 year , i can work in opt and apply for next year due to stem extension.but my case has a demerit i have no IT experience some one told consultancy will solve your issue and make your resume look nice.please guide me showing real picure of usa??as this step will be turning point in my life?How the IT scene in usa ???Does stem student after graduation find a job?As my bachelor is not in computers and simple arts does it have any effect in visa or h1b or when employer looks at resume?Guide as i don't know IT scenario there?Bottom line is i donot want that situation in which i haven given a degree and said go back to india as earning in usa and settling down here is my priority and that is why i am taking education a a medium pathroute to usa in which i found IT field a safe step............................Guide

PLEASE SAY IT FIELD REAL PICTURE IN REGARD TO JOB OPPORTUNITIES, AND HI1B for those who have completed their masters in usa?does fresher tag is a setback or consultancy will feel good

email me ashuji41@gmail.com

Harinath Mekala
06-10-2014, 11:17 AM
I applied for change of status from H4 to F1 in March and its been more than 3 months. I paid sevis fee while applying for this change of status to Student visa. Since my F1 approval hasnt come in the time I expected before the start of next semester, so I will have to continue the next semester also on H4 visa. With the change of status(I539) getting delayed, i guess my SEVIS will also be cancelled, does that mean that I have to pay SEVIS fee again. If not, then should I ask my college to give me a deferment I-20 since my COS approval would then come in time for the next semester. ? Is there any cost to be paid to the college to reactivate my SEVIS for the next semester.. It seems stupid to keep paying college for the delay in processing by USCIS, if thats what I need to do

deeps12
06-19-2014, 04:34 PM
Hello everyone,

I got my visa status changed from H4 to F1 recently. On my I-20 starting date is June 2nd, but my visa got approved on June 12th. So my International Student Officer contacted USCIS and they said to submit a request to change I-20 date from June 2nd to June 12th. So my ISO said to me that it takes 3 months to change. I want to confirm whether it takes 3 months to change the date on sevis or not?

kanchana2805
07-09-2014, 10:54 AM
Hey friends, I do have a question , can u help me with an answer.
I'm doing my master currently on H4, and applied for change of status here and waiting for approval. Hopefully after my approval ,

1. should I need to get F1 stamping before I graduate, I will be graduating on May 2015 ? or Can I be here until I complete my OPT?
2. Can I visit Canada for stamping ?? Is it easy if I go there than going to India?
3. If In case I need to go for stamping before graduation , I can go there in December during my winter break , but by that time , My H4 expires (on Nov 2014), thinking about the worst case , Do I need to face any hard time with F1 denials or due to H4 Expiry ?
4. What reason is most accepted when the VO ask why are you converting from H4 to F1 ??

Awaiting for your reply. Help me

rasmi
08-16-2014, 07:31 PM
Hey, I am an Indian citizen and I got admitted to a PhD program this fall. I did apply for a change of status from H4 to F1 but it is taking a lot of time. I need my F1 visa so that I can start with my TA as soon as the semester begins. I was considering going to Canada to get that done. Do I need a visa to enter Canada? Also, are visa interview dates readily available at the US Consulate in Canada? Can you please tell me the procedure that you used?

kanchana2805
08-20-2014, 12:45 PM
yes you need a visa to enter canada.

Hey, I am an Indian citizen and I got admitted to a PhD program this fall. I did apply for a change of status from H4 to F1 but it is taking a lot of time. I need my F1 visa so that I can start with my TA as soon as the semester begins. I was considering going to Canada to get that done. Do I need a visa to enter Canada? Also, are visa interview dates readily available at the US Consulate in Canada? Can you please tell me the procedure that you used?

kanchana2805
08-20-2014, 12:56 PM
Hello everyone,

I got my visa status changed from H4 to F1 recently. On my I-20 starting date is June 2nd, but my visa got approved on June 12th. So my International Student Officer contacted USCIS and they said to submit a request to change I-20 date from June 2nd to June 12th. So my ISO said to me that it takes 3 months to change. I want to confirm whether it takes 3 months to change the date on sevis or not?

Hello, Can you share the information, what did you do after your approval. Did you get new I -20, do we need to pay SEVIS again ??? please reply me

Banoth69
10-29-2014, 11:03 AM
U can study on H4 and then change ur status to F1. I did the same thing and ill be studying on F1 this fall.

Hi ... I would like to know few more details How you converted your H4 to F1 visa, even I'm looking for conversation. Please can reply me ...

kvdc
03-22-2015, 09:40 AM
Hi, you can continue studying on H-4 and change you status even in the last semester to F-1 visa. I did the same. Hope this helps!

megha23dec
02-28-2016, 05:42 PM
hello ,
while waiting for change of status from h4 to F1 , the study we do on H4 will that be considered on F1 for being eligible for CPT or I need to wait further for one academic year on F1 visa for CPT ??

megha23dec
04-12-2016, 09:39 PM
Hey friends, I do have a question , can u help me with an answer.
I'm doing my master currently on H4, and applied for change of status here and waiting for approval. Hopefully after my approval ,

1. should I need to get F1 stamping before I graduate, I will be graduating on May 2015 ? or Can I be here until I complete my OPT?
2. Can I visit Canada for stamping ?? Is it easy if I go there than going to India?
3. If In case I need to go for stamping before graduation , I can go there in December during my winter break , but by that time , My H4 expires (on Nov 2014), thinking about the worst case , Do I need to face any hard time with F1 denials or due to H4 Expiry ?
4. What reason is most accepted when the VO ask why are you converting from H4 to F1 ??

Awaiting for your reply. Help me

Hi can u call me on 7047476248.