View Full Version : Possible ways for a PhD student in following situation to join a company.

01-13-2015, 09:17 PM
Hello all,

You guys are all just awesome. I thank everyone whoever is contributing in DesiOPT and helping fellow members.

I am a PhD student. After finishing masters, used up few months of OPT, cancelled it (didn't utilize extension) and started PhD. It is been one year and now a startup company offered me a job impressed by my master's research. Company profile is good and has scope to grow fast. They Asked me to join them discontinuing my PhD. Since, it is a startup with few employees, I feel that I will have good scope in future.

My questions are:
1- If I decide to join company and discontinue PhD, what are my possible ways to join the company?
2- Do I have to apply for CPT (as a PhD student) from my current university, join comp, apply H1B (Hoping that it will be picked)? For that, will my current university allow me to apply for CPT knowing that I am gonnu discontinue PhD?
3- Do I have to apply for 1day CPT universities, join comp, and then apply H1B?
4- Or any other possible ways?
5- How many days does it take to get CPT, if we apply it now?
6- Can we apply for CPT in middle of a semester?
7- Please suggest whatever you can in this regard.
8- Thanks a ton in advance.

01-14-2015, 05:35 AM
Your question will be reviewed by our moderator and posted on our wall at http://www.facebook.com/desiopt1 within 24-72 hours please follow the post and forum.
*** Don't Miss Important Topics, Subscribe to our Newsletter at http://bit.ly/1da2vrz ***
If you feel this community is useful, please invite your friends by following below steps
1. Goto http://facebook.com/desiopt1
2. Find "Suggest DesiOPT.com to Your Friends" - Click on "See All" and Invite your friends
3. If you can't find the link, refer http://bit.ly/16CAYOb

In addition to the readers comments, You can also call attorneys for free advice. DesiOPT is collaborating with group of attorneys. You can contact them directly via email/ phone. Initial Consult is Free. Their information is listed on http://desiopt.com/ home page.
we are providing direct links as well, please let us know your feedback after the call

Disclaimer: http://bit.ly/163AglR

01-16-2015, 06:22 AM
Your message was posted as anonymous on Facebook wall- (Jan 15th)

01-20-2015, 05:40 AM
Either new University with Day 1 CPT and apply H1 or talk to your DSO and see if you can get CPT on PHD and apply for H1. CPT can start anytime of the Semester in most Universities.

01-20-2015, 05:40 AM
CPT has to be 12 weeks in a semester. do not take risk, let H1B approved before starting work.

01-20-2015, 05:41 AM
Your employer can file your H1b while you continue your PHD. Until your H1b gets approved you can going the company on a CPT.

01-20-2015, 05:41 AM
1 safe way h1 .. If u are from countries other than india and china then gc ..
2 if u want to start working as soon as possible then cpt is only option .. Dont let them know about u are leaving ..
3 it is up to school ..
4 dont take risk first check for safe options ..
5 depends on school ( ur dso is the one who approves it )

01-20-2015, 05:42 AM
CPT can start almost anytime. You might be better off filing an H1B, and make sure that you file it under the masters quota. I am a lawyer with an immigration law firm and can talk to you in detail about this. Feel free to PM me. Our law firm gives out free consultations to US employers.