View Full Version : Tax during CPT

Vasanth Krishna Sista
06-18-2014, 11:51 AM
Dear DESI OPT , thanks for all the effort you put to address the questions of members.

I would like to raise a question, I am at present working as an Intern(Independent Contractor) under CPT in a NGO and it is mentioned in the contract I will not be given any W2 benefits and I need to file the taxes (both state and federal) by myself at the end of the year. They made me fill a W-9 form on the very first day of joining and told that I will be getting a form 1099 mentioning all the money I have earned.

I got my first paycheck in which there were no taxes deducted. I was wondering if there will be any problem while applying for OPT.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

06-18-2014, 05:12 PM
Your question will be reviewed by our moderator and posted on our wall at http://www.facebook.com/desiopt1 within 24-72 hours please follow the post and forum.
*** Don't Miss Important Topics, Subscribe to our Newsletter at http://bit.ly/1da2vrz ***
If you feel this community is useful, please invite your friends by following below steps
1. Goto http://facebook.com/desiopt1
2. Find "Suggest DesiOPT.com to Your Friends" - Click on "See All" and Invite your friends
3. If you can't find the link, refer http://bit.ly/16CAYOb

In addition to the readers comments, You can also call attorneys for free advice. DesiOPT is collaborating with group of attorneys. You can contact them directly via email/ phone. Initial Consult is Free. Their information is listed on http://desiopt.com/ home page.
we are providing direct links as well, please let us know your feedback after the call

Disclaimer: http://bit.ly/163AglR

06-20-2014, 04:35 PM
Your message was posted as anonymous on Facebook wall- (June 20th)

06-23-2014, 04:29 AM
Dude they are making all the payment to you so you need to file your taxes independently and for that you need to fill w-9 1099 form so can pay taxes a independent contractor , and you will be getting a taxpayer identification number (TIN) so you can pay through that . Don't worry cheers !!!

06-23-2014, 04:29 AM
Shouldn't be a problem....

06-23-2014, 04:30 AM
1 it was not pay check it was just a payment for u r service ... u need to pay u r self employment tax and income taxes ..

06-23-2014, 04:31 AM
You need to report your 1099 income on your tax return for the year and you will pay taxes on that earned income.

06-23-2014, 04:31 AM
When u r filing 2014 tax returns, mention these amount in your total income. Taxes will get deducted accordingly