• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rmaini
    • Jul 2013

Apply for Green Card while on OPT?

Hi,

I have just finished my PhD in Biochem/Chem and am on OPT now. Can I apply for green card while on OPT?

Also, I can start my own business while working for at a university on OPT? I was thinking to partner with a citizen to start a food business.

Thanks!
  • DesiOPTForumAdmin
    Administrator
    • Mar 2013

Your message will be posted as anonymous on Facebook wall within 12 hours-Posting date Sep 18th

*Don't Miss Important Topics, Subscribe to our Newsletter at http://bit.ly/1da2vrz
    If you feel this community is useful, please INVITE your friends by following below steps

1. Goto http://facebook.com/desiopt1
    2. Find "Suggest DesiOPT.com to Your Friends" - Click on "See All" and Invite your friends
    3. If you can't find the link, refer http://desiopt.com/include/themes/cu...s/fbinvite.php for details

Comment

• DesiOPT-FaceBook-Fan
      • Mar 2013

Yes you can. I'm actually in the middle of the process. It is recommended for you to do it. If u need an immigration lawyer let me know, mine is amazing and has gotten me all my paperwork in less than 6 months!

Comment

• DesiOPT-FaceBook-Fan
        • Mar 2013

well my question would be will the business he intends to start enable him to get a green card ?

Comment

• DesiOPT-FaceBook-Fan
          • Mar 2013

depends if he is investing 1M and providing 10 jobs or 500k in high unemployment areas and 10 jobs then he can do it in EB5 ..

Comment

• DesiOPT-FaceBook-Fan
            • Mar 2013

yes you can start a business while on OPT ..
            and you can start u r GC process but it violates u r F1 as it is not intent to immigrate ..
            i need more info to give better advice ..
            which type u r going with ( EB1 or EB2 or EB3 or EB5 or any other way) ??

Comment

• DesiOPT-FaceBook-Fan
              • Mar 2013

and forgot mention u can not do S-class corporation ..LLC or C-class are fine ..

Comment

• DesiOPT-FaceBook-Fan
                • Mar 2013

while on OPT I think for C-class no partnership will be needed but for LLC partnership with GC holder will be needed, that too, he'she can be passive partner only.

Comment

• DesiOPT-FaceBook-Fan
                  • Mar 2013

on opt u can be active provided the work u are doing related to u r field of study .. member thing is state law .. depends on state to state .. C and S are IRS classifications

Comment

• DesiOPT-FaceBook-Fan
                    • Mar 2013

Yes that's what I am saying in this regard, the post initiator is PhD in Chemistry here so starting or managing a business isn't related to her study at all. So he/she can't be an active partner in LLC even though she is on OPT. I think the best bet for him/her will be C-Class incorporation on OPT. ( though I am not sure about F1 violations as her study isn't related to business ).

Comment

• DesiOPT-FaceBook-Fan
                      • Mar 2013

LLC can be operated like corporation ..both C and LLC are doable ..

Comment

• DesiOPT-FaceBook-Fan
                        • Mar 2013

CPT, or OPT

Comment

• Rutika Naik
                          • Sep 2013

So i am on opt extension and i am a physical therapist and wanting to start a business related to my own field. Can i be a part of a PLLC? and how do i go about with the greencard or h1 process. awaiting a prompt reply. thank you

Comment

Working...
                          X