View Full Version : Second Masters Degree

09-15-2013, 03:32 AM
Hi, i am currently doing masters and will graduate in Dec 2013. I am interested in pursuing a second masters degree.
I want to know how and when should i apply for my visa. I have the acceptance/I20 letter from my second masters degree college.

If i go to India to apply for my visa and get rejected, is it still possible to come back and apply for an opt?
Can someone pls guide me through the whole process. Any possibility of not going to India to get my visa?

09-15-2013, 04:06 PM
Your question will be posted on our wall at http://www.facebook.com/desiopt1 on September 17th please follow the post and forum.
*** Don't Miss Important Topics, Subscribe to our Newsletter at http://bit.ly/1da2vrz ***
If you feel this community is useful, please invite your friends by following below steps
1. Goto http://facebook.com/desiopt1
2. Find "Suggest DesiOPT.com to Your Friends" - Click on "See All" and Invite your friends
3. If you can't find the link, refer http://desiopt.com/include/themes/custom/banners/fbinvite.php
In addition to the readers comments, You can also call attorneys for free advice. DesiOPT is collaborating with group of attorneys. You can contact them directly via email/ phone. Initial Consult is Free. Their information is listed on http://desiopt.com/ home page.
we are providing direct links as well, please let us know your feedback after the call


09-20-2013, 03:44 AM
Your best bet is to finish a sememster on new I-20 and go back for visa application. But hihgly not recommended.

09-20-2013, 03:45 AM
If I assume that you have valid student visa for 5 years and considering you are approaching your 1st masters yet, you still have 3 yrs of valid visa. In that case you don't need to get new visa. You can continue your 2nd masters without going back if that is the case... This is my understanding. I might not be right on it.

09-20-2013, 03:45 AM
Please check and verify and clarify with the Office of International Services in your new college.
Your current visa is issued under 1 college & it's not that you are transferring. So make sure u know about it from the official source who know the legal procedures without jeopardizing you legal status.

09-20-2013, 03:46 AM
ur student visa is valid for5 yrs and therefore shud be safe to enroll for second MS.
As far as the opt is concerned, u need to either take a pre or post completion opt before the end of or 60 days after the program. So if u decide to come back to school again u might end up forfeiting ur opt.

09-20-2013, 03:46 AM
If your VISA is issued for 5 years you do not need to go India and get stamped. You can continue with new I20. If you have F1 Visa which is about to expire, If you do not want to go India , you can go to cannada and get stamped.

09-20-2013, 03:47 AM
hi as soon as your sevis is transfered to a different school you opt will end and your new status will start. if you fall in cap gap you can apply for h1 (h1application sent in 60 days ) on the other if are your visa stamp is expired you can go to canada mexico or jamaica... In your case going to mexico is also not a trouble as u are going for same status visa... No worries there always better option than taking a chance at some other nations.. Good luck...

09-20-2013, 03:48 AM
Do understand that if you use your opt for the first master's degree, you will not qualify for an opt after the second master's degree. Verify this info with the USCIS website & with your International Office. You may want to plan this well in advance